Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: $400 dollar fishing jacket  (Read 14480 times)

paul1971

$400 dollar fishing jacket
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »

I need a new jacket and want to spend around $400 thanks in advance for any recommendations.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: $400 dollar fishing jacket
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »

Here is a list of brands to look at:

Cloudveil
Patagonia
Bare
Simms
William Joseph
Loop
Vision

there is a place to start your search ;-) lol
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

river walker

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 05:34:05 PM »

"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »

paul1971

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »

Here is a list of brands to look at:

Cloudveil
Patagonia
Bare
Simms
William Joseph
Loop
Vision

there is a place to start your search ;-) lol
yeah know the brands was looking for recomondations.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 05:45:29 PM »

Probably the best jackets out there are the Patagonia SST and the Simms G3/G4 IMO.  Those are the most popular top of the line jackets.  The Patagonia Deep Wading Jacket is quite a bit cheaper and more bare bones, which isn't a bad thing in my books.  My G3 jacket, while it performs well, has so many pockets that I tend to misplace things (ie: camera, while landing a good fish).  Simms cuffs are decent and they keep most of the water out, but Patagonia jackets look like they have perhaps even better cuffs, which is very nice to have fishing in complete downpours, when drifting in rafts, landing fish, or taking a spill in the river.  I'm not sure the extra price of the G4 gets you much more in terms of function, but then again, I don't own a G4, so perhaps someone who has experience with both will chime in.  Outside of fit, which is a matter of personal taste, I haven't heard anyone not like the aforementioned jackets.

Of those jackets, I can only give a personal recommendation on the G3 jacket, which I've worn maybe 20 days on the water.  Its performed to my expectations.  Areas where it could be improved, would be to related to fit (Simms cut fits larger wait people better IMO), slightly better cuffs wouldn't hurt, and a lining in the hood so that it it didn't make so much noise wearing the hood up.  All these issues are relatively minor and I am able to spend a day floating rapids in a deluge without getting wet.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:17:26 PM by Matt »

paul1971

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »

Thanks Matt.

Kenwee

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »

Don't be penny wise pound foolish, check out Simms G4 wading jacket at $479.00 , I have one for 2 years now and it is absolutely the best I have used. It is a rugged and durable product.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »

I'm in to my fourth year with G4. It is absolutely bomb proof but it starts to show the wear. I paid 400 clams at TWS. Had a green breathable Bare before  and it still sits somewhere in my closet.

river walker

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 06:52:34 PM »

Screaming deal because it's hideous..

The fish don't care what it looks like . Neither do I because I'm toasty and dry.
Best jacket for the money I've owned bare. Simms.
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

patagonia

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »

Well I wonder what jacket Ill recommend?? PATAGONIA, they are solid and the best warranty in the business. Pacific Angler had a great deal on them last week, I think they were 40% off.... may still be able to score a deal as they are in the process of blowing things out for the move.

Zach Sanchioni

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 10:30:50 PM »

Don't buy any wading jacket. Go to MEC and get one of their higher end Gore-Tex jackets and never worry about getting screwed around on a warranty, having to pay shipping costs or warranty fees (or not get warranty). You can wear it from the day you buy it until the day you die and if it ever so much as has a loose thread return it for a brand new one. Save some cash while you're at it and as another bonus throw it in the wash and take it skiing hiking or out on the town. Ciao

hotrod

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »

Highwater tackle has some on sale for $379. Simms guide gortex  jackets! Like $100 bucks off regular price. Give dave a call and he'll hook you up!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 12:25:58 AM »

Don't buy any wading jacket. Go to MEC and get one of their higher end Gore-Tex jackets and never worry about getting screwed around on a warranty, having to pay shipping costs or warranty fees (or not get warranty). You can wear it from the day you buy it until the day you die and if it ever so much as has a loose thread return it for a brand new one. Save some cash while you're at it and as another bonus throw it in the wash and take it skiing hiking or out on the town. Ciao

Don't you know it's important to look fashionable on the rivers ? $400 fishing jackets, Sage rods, Islander reels, breatheable waders etc ;D

paul1971

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 06:54:46 AM »

Dont want to be fashionable just dry!