Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: From Hybrid Cars to Hybrid Fish? Genetically Engineered Salmon (Super Salmon)  (Read 3682 times)

loveforstellies

• Thump! huh? Fish on!!!

Hey Guys check this article I stumbled upon a few hours ago.

The biotechnology industry has genetically engineered a fish that grows at twice the normal rate and requires 10% less food. It is otherwise known as the AquaAdvantage Salmon. While it grows faster, and reaches mature sizes earlier than standard salmon, they claim that it doesn’t get bigger.

Obviously, this makes sense if you are a fish farmer and want to increase your margins, but what about for human consumption?

If the FDA gives the green light to introduce the AquaAdvantage Salmon into fish farms it will be the first genetically engineered animal released for human consumption and they won’t be required to label the fish. So essentially, even if you don’t want to eat it,  you won’t know the difference.  What bothers me more is the fact that we have no idea what the short or long-term effects will be on humans. An additional  concern is the urgency of launching this super salmon program into effect. What is the hurry? If given the green light, the super salmon will reach our plates within two years.

Lastly, without trying to add extra emotion or fear, fish today, what tomorrow?  There is already talk of releasing genetically engineered pig for human consumption; the “enviropig“. There are better, sustainable solutions to the problems that industrial, factory farmers are facing….called traditional farming! The problem is the margins are much smaller and power lies in the hands of the big guys. While farmers are trying resolve pretty big environmental issues caused by their unsound and unnatural farming methods, they are pouring starter fluid to an already blazing fire. There are small farmers who are using farming models that protect humans, animals, and the environment.

Lastly, there is the question; where do we draw the line? Once we head down this road, is there a turning back? How far will we take this and what will be the end result? Produce and meat today…humans tomorrow? At what point do we start determining whether it is a “real” animal or not? Is this new science that far off from what Hitler’s philosophy?

If approved, GE salmon would be the first “transgenic” animal allowed into our food supply. It’s also unlikely that it would have to be labeled, so you won’t even know you’re eating it.

In her blog post FDA Hearings Go Swimmingly for Frankenfish, Martha Rosenburg explains how the super salmon is created:

The AquAdvantage Salmon was created by inserting the coding sequence from a chinook salmon growth hormone gene, under control of an ocean pout gene, into wild Atlantic salmon. The resulting fish grows twice as fast as wild Atlantic salmon, reaching its full size in 18 months instead of three years.

Though the fish, all female, are 95 to 99 percent sterile, Boston-based AquaBounty Technologies’ (ABT), its developer, says eggs will be grown on Prince Edward Island in Canada and adults in Panama because the respective marine environments discourage survival of escapees.

The FDA has approved GE crops, genetically modified growth hormone (BGH) used in milk and, last year, a goat with human genes to create a blood clotting drug. But the AquAdvantage Salmon is the first GE animal whose flesh will actually be eaten.

Today there is over 300 million crops planted to GE corn and soybean that is inedible in its natural form. The majority is used as animal feed, while the rest is processed and manipulated for human consumption and is found in almost ALL processed foods.

Get the facts and learn everything about the AquaAdvantage Salmon and Enviropig at the Food & Water Watch Website. Your voice matters. Click the link below and vote to stop GE salmon from reaching our plates.

TAKE ACTION
jza

loveforstellies

• Thump! huh? Fish on!!!

Here is one more reason why we must strive to boycott farm salmon. It is time for the est of the world to see how harmful farmed salmon can be to us humans and our native salmon stocks.  :-\
jza

loveforstellies

• Thump! huh? Fish on!!!

What do you guys make of this?  ???
jza

StillAqua

I don't have a problem eating GM foods...we already do with our grains and produce. And if a few extra plant or fish genes were toxic, we'd all be dead.

I do have a problem with the escapees mingling with wild stocks. I seem to recall that one of the arguments for GM fish was that they would make closed containment of fish farms on land profitable. So are they now planning to use open net farms? Guaranteed they won't be restricted to Panama in a few years.

skaha

• Old Timer

--No brainer that we already eat GM products however we still at least there is the pretence that we have a choice... if there is a proper label.
--I'm not a hermit or survivalist but I have tried to get back to the land a bit on my own.
--Small garden and I try to grow older variety plants... again have to trust the label
--Went hunting last year for first time in20 some years.
--Keeping a few more fish and going to lakes where it is appropriate to keep them.

--Only thing we can really do is try to enforce labeling but we know that is flawed and even if the labels are true if the stores in your area don't bring in other products.. you still have to eat.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

We already have a lot of GM products in the food system such as livestock and grains and a lot of produce. While the livestock are in closed containment systems, the GM grains and some produce are having an effect on the plant environment due to cross pollination. It is a practice that carries a lot of risk. On the other hand it keeps the costs of food low....

Growing GM fish anywhere other than in land based closed containment systems would just be stupid. I wouldn't eat farmed salmon of any kind, but if they do start marketing this stuff, the consumer should have the right to know what they are buying.

On the positive side if they started growing this stuff on land, they would have no reason to continue polluting our west coast with the open net salmon feed lots!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer

There is another issue associated with escapes and crossbreeding aside from it's effect on wild stocks and that is ownership of the genetic information and right to harvest products containing that genetic sequence.

The courts have established in the case of Monsanto versus Percy Schmeiser, dealing with the contamination of Schmeiser's non-GM canola crop with wind blown pollen from a neighbouring Monsanto GM canola crop, that the developer owns the genetic sequence. Anyone else who harvests products containing that sequence are required to either forfeit their harvest or pay a royalty to the owner of that sequence regardless of whether the genetic cross contamination was intentional or accidental.

This has potential impacts on both the wild commercial and sport fisheries above and beyond the genetic contamination of wild stocks.