Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Derbies, good or bad  (Read 8406 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Derbies, good or bad
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »

I have a picture of you guys but will refrain from posting.

I think you should post their picture. I mean they beaked you guys on your run so they at least deserve to be shamed.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

joshhowat

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »

Hell ya shame them!!

I go fishing with my wife sometimes and I always give her first dibs on a run and I cant even count the number of times some my friend hats cut in.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

floatfisher

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »

milo I highly doubt they have any bad feelings about what they did, nor do they mind looking at themselves in the mirror. If anything they probably do stupid poses in the mirror each morning lol. They did hook a fish so if anything they're going to be tail out bandits more in the future.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »

milo I highly doubt they have any bad feelings about what they did, nor do they mind looking at themselves in the mirror. If anything they probably do stupid poses in the mirror each morning lol. They did hook a fish so if anything they're going to be tail out bandits more in the future.

You are probably right, but I prefer to think that it is at least somewhat annoying to be in their skin 24/7. I mean, imagine how pathetic their daily life must be for them to behave like a$$es on the flow.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »

Very typical behavior on the Vedder. Not saying its right,but get used to it.With each passing year it gets worse.I have a million stories of rude behavior i have witnessed out on the flow.I shrug my shoulders and move on.Not worth getting into a fight over a fish.Theres just too many people fishing the river which turns it into "combat fishing". Not the place for women and children,im sad to say. :'(

Silex-user

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 11:33:48 PM »

I have agreed with Dennis.t it getting worse every year. Being steelhead fishing the Chilliwack-Vedder river for over 32 years and  I avoid the Boxing Day Derby fishing  for more than 15 years.

Silex-user

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 01:00:21 AM »

Wow. You guys have high hopes about etiquette on derby day. With something like 400 anglers on the river why would you think someone is going to wait for you?
It's basically salmon season.
In general I have not noticed an increase in bad behaviour during steelhead season except for fenceposting. I haven't been low holed in 4 years, but then I don't expect to claim a busy run to myself.   

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 08:24:58 AM »

If the Pikeminnow derby is on this year I'm going. Say what you want but I don't see anything wrong with what there doing trying to keep the Pikeminnow numbers down.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »

Wow. You guys have high hopes about etiquette on derby day. With something like 400 anglers on the river why would you think someone is going to wait for you?
It's basically salmon season.
In general I have not noticed an increase in bad behaviour during steelhead season except for fenceposting. I haven't been low holed in 4 years, but then I don't expect to claim a busy run to myself.   
With your attitude,your part of the problem.One should always ask his fellow angler working a run if hes working down,and if he is,then start above him.If hes taking too long to fish through,then let him know your going around him and continue on through.Basic river ettiquette, that is lost on the younger generation unfortunatly.Low holing an angler working through a run is rude behavior in my books. :-\

work2fish

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »

Tell me about it...my girlfriend and I get to a run in the upper first light waiting...a fly chucker asked if he can fish the tail out... I requested we fish the run thru in sequence...he agreed. My girlfriend started first I followed and the chucker 3rd. My girlfriend is halfway thru the run...2 guys come in below her and start casting, in prime tailout water. I yelled down what r u guys doing? Next thing I know they are into a fish. My girlfriend has never caught a steelhead before. She was fishing some good bait, she probably would have caught that fish. I went up to these 2, and asked what the hell they think they are doing. They reply this is the Vedder it is always like that, and that it was a derby and that is the way it is. Well I read the rules and what they did goes against the rules, you can't walk in on guys working the run through. I replied that the river is like this because of people like you. It is one thing if you don't know better, but these 2 knew better, what a joke, great start to the morning. I remember what you guys look like I am going to make sure I beak you right out if I see you out there again. I will stand 2 ft away and start casting over your line, and let out a big stinky fart...or just throw some boulders into the water you are working...that will be fun...I hope you 2 read this and know who you are, a couple of f' jokes!

I have a picture of you guys but will refrain from posting.

So since what they did went against the rules of the tournament in your opinion, out of curiosity why didn't you inform the derby chairman?  Chances are this would have been a far better punishment then farting on them, throwing rocks in the river or starting a fight in the future don't you think?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »

--like the derbies... they have their place.
--check out kokanee power in USA... their derbies are fundraisers for fisheries enhancement.
--I would be somewhat ticked if as in some waters there are derbies every weekend... I can see the point of the locals thinking... when do we get some peace and quiet to just fish for fun.

--there are many ways to enhance derby experience... add on fishing lessons...new gear demo sites, casting comptetitions, like in many pro/am tourneys prizes go to charity of choice rather than the competator etc.