Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011/12 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 213114 times)

Carich980

As stated above Water was in great shape. I had a good strike on a Purple Hobo but missed it. Caught a small trout on a muddler.

Sandman

• Old Timer

Totally off topic. Start a new thread or just resurrect one of the old ones. Nothing new here.

Absolutely correct typhoon...water conditions are great...perfect for flyfishing.
Not all those who wander are lost

Carich980

Anyone else out today see that boat going up and down the river, Lowe with a blue stripe on the side and a merc outboard? I was debating slapping him in the face with my spey line. Water is still good and appears to be lowering. I saw a new float go drifting by??? Interesting events but no takes for me...

HOOK

• Old Timer

whats the river looking like these days ?

im thinking of heading out before work monday morning but dont wanna make the drive and get up that early for no visibility conditions  :-\

thanks guys
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Old Blue

I would think it's pretty high considering all the melting higher up, on tuesday when i drove over highway 1 bridge it looked up considerably compared to the previous week.  Maybe call Fred's.

HOOK

• Old Timer

I already know its up,  Im more concerned with clarity. freds hasn't updated since May 6th :-(
Check out our new blog

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

whats the river looking like these days ?

im thinking of heading out before work monday morning but dont wanna make the drive and get up that early for no visibility conditions  :-\

thanks guys
Will check later today and on Sunday.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough

River is in good shape this morning ,not too high. Tight line.

HOOK

• Old Timer

I appreciate the condition updates from you Chris and yes i realize your stop once the river goes 'fly only'  ;)

thank you Tyee and i lok forward to your sunday update Chris  ;D
Check out our new blog

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I appreciate the condition updates from you Chris and yes i realize your stop once the river goes 'fly only'  ;)

thank you Tyee and i lok forward to your sunday update Chris  ;D
Yes as stated above condition were excellent. I talked to 2 fly chaps by the Hydro Bridge and they said they had nothing   ;).

Also had to inform an old chap  :D that was bar fishing in the same area it was closed, said he did not know. Some of you may have seen him bar fishing in this area during the open season. I could have phoned him in but I thought just talking to him was suffice, in his eighties I believe.

Also two people fly fishing in the log dump area, could see smolts chasing their flies as they retrieved, not much one could do about that and I did not stay to see if they were keeping any.

Warm today so not sure if the river will hold on until Monday for you Hook.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River still holding this AM. Saw three chaps fly fishing, looked like they were targeting smolts.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer

River still holding this AM. Saw three chaps fly fishing, looked like they were targeting smolts.
And thats the rub? Is not this fur flinger only opening supposed to be for adult spawning steelhead on there reds? This really saddens me! >:(

purplehelmet

If I understand correctly, those smolts are C & R this month, right?
It's NOT good for the smoker!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

If I understand correctly, those smolts are C & R this month, right?
Yes

HOOK

• Old Timer

have you ever fished this time of year Dennis ?

last year i took a chrome bullet at this time of the month last year and didnt hook a single kelted fish nor did i see any hooked  ::) the reason the river is closed above the crossing bridge is because that is where the majority of spawning fish will be located. I also make sure to use hooks large enough that the smolts cant grab hold of them, they can pluck at the flies as much as they want and believe me they do but i havent hooked one yet fair of fouled.

thank you for the updates Chris  ;D

HOOK - wonders if Dennis T ever has anything positive to say  :-\
Check out our new blog