Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to go about targeting trout in Squamish..  (Read 2948 times)

qescott

Best way to go about targeting trout in Squamish..
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:32:08 PM »

I hooked in to a rainbow(?) in the Squamish and decided I must have more, I'm hooked if you will. I know this is an extremely vague question, I'm kind of looking for opinions really, but how would I best go about finding another one of these magnificently beautiful and exciting fish? Would my best bet be the Cheak? Mamquam? Squamish? Should I swing leech patterns or drift globugs under an indicator? I've had enough of bull trout, I want another rainbow.
Also to be noted, I lost this mystery fish while trying to get my camera out of my backpack while it was in the water and it spat the hook. I didn't get a chance to really identify it, but I'm pretty damn sure it was a rainbow, when it jumped it had a definite pink stripe and it was around 15 inches long. I caught it drifting a globug but I've had no such luck since.
Thanks in advance,
Quinn

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Best way to go about targeting trout in Squamish..
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:05:21 PM »

There is the odd rainbow and cutty in the Squamish, but not present in large enough numbers at this time of year to bother targeting specifically IMO.  The Vedder has significantly more rainbows if that's what you're after.

qescott

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »

I see, so it was a lucky catch. It was something else, let me tell you. Vedder you say, huh? Sounds like a plan, any tips? I never really fish the Vedder.
Thanks again

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 12:37:05 AM »

I see, so it was a lucky catch. It was something else, let me tell you. Vedder you say, huh? Sounds like a plan, any tips? I never really fish the Vedder.
Thanks again

It would be cool if there were lots of trout around, but I've never found more than the odd rainbow around in winter.  As for the Vedder, I've caught them as by-catch, mostly midriver, never targeted them.  

Theres cutthroat in most Fraser Valley systems, but its not really my game either.  They stay active in winter and like your rainbow, are extremely pretty and provide an alternative to bul ltrout.