Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Fly Fishing Experience  (Read 6219 times)

Danny

First Fly Fishing Experience
« on: December 20, 2011, 12:34:30 AM »

I bought myself a little present this fall, wanting to get into fly fishing pretty badly.  i picked up a fly rod, and took the beginners fly class with Brian from Sea Run recently. practiced in the park for the past couple weeks and felt i was ready for some real practice experience.  i picked up a few flies from Hatch Match'r this morning and hit up the Stave River for my first time trying my fly rod on water.  I had a lot of fun with my buddy for a few hours, testing our luck.  it was also his first time trying fly fishing on water as well.  Needless to say, we lost a couple flies, tangled up our leaders pretty good a few times, and didn't get a single bite.  but we had a great afternoon, and im hoping it will only improve with more time out on the water.  Hopefully i don't have to wait too long before i can hook into a nice cutthroat on my fly rod. 

Here's to future, and more productive stories to come

koko

Re: First Fly Fishing Experience
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:41:32 AM »

Welcome to the dark side ;D

adecadelost

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:43:07 AM »

Good on you Danny, that's what it's all about, having fun.

Learning new techniques and casting styles has always made things more interesting for me.  Not only does it open up different flow situations that you wouldn't previously have fished, but there is something satisfying when you lay out that perfect cast.  Not always as nice as getting a fish, but some days can be right up there.

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 04:56:48 AM »

Two and a half years ago, I picked up my first fly rod, reel and line. Rod was a 5 or 6  piece 5 weight Cortland travel rod and line was a Scientific Angler 7 weight double taper found during the close-out sale at Joe's Sporting goods. I believe a month before that, I picked up a Pflueger Medalist 1400 1/2 series during the Boaters World close-out and payed altogether no more than $50USD for my first set-up.
Looking back from when I first started fishing, I'm glad I picked up a fly rod! The learning curb is gradual and this fly fishing started out as a hobby turned passion and now hitting addiction. Nothing beats feeling a take while strippining line, watching your strike indicator drop or witnessing a dry fly take!
I wish you many memories on your journey through the art of fly fishing, Danny. See you around the local waters...;D

Mike
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jimmywits

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 09:11:29 AM »

Way to go Danny, pick yourself up a used copy of the "Gilly" and study it, and you will soon be into fish my freind.

Danny

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 04:29:35 PM »

thanks for all the support!  i'll keep my eyes peeled for Gilly. Anything i can do to feed this new obsession i have will only make me have even more fun out on the water! 

see you guys around

CraftyCoho

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 04:16:58 PM »

Way to go Danny, pick yourself up a used copy of the "Gilly" and study it, and you will soon be into fish my freind.

Another great book (it is actually 2 books under one cover) I am currently devouring is "The year of the angler and the year of the trout" written by a lifetime trout/steelhead flyfisher from the Seattle area (Steve Raymond). The short narrative essay style of his writing keeps me enthralled and excited when there's few or no fish to be had over the winter.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:26:25 PM by CraftyCoho »

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »

Danny, Fire me your Addy and I will fire a copy of both of the books I wrote to ya as a x-mas gift!!

The Freshman FlyFisher (A Beginners Guide)
The Freshman Flyfisher's insect Guide

E-Mail me your Addy Rp3flyfisher@Gmail.com

Rick Passek

Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 09:42:30 AM »

Congratulations and welcome to the brotherhood Danny! I'm sure that you're going to enjoy the new path that you've chosen!

Very nice gesture on your part as well Rick! You're a real generous and classy guy in my books!! 

Cheers,
Todd
:)
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 10:29:29 AM »

Congratulations and welcome to the brotherhood Danny! I'm sure that you're going to enjoy the new path that you've chosen!

Very nice gesture on your part as well Rick! You're a real generous and classy guy in my books!! 

Cheers,
Todd
:)

Thanks Todd!!

Have a GREAT X-Mas my friend!!

Rick

Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek

Author of:
&

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

Danny

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 10:14:02 AM »

yeah thank you so much Rick! i can't wait to read it and tell all of my friends to go out and buy copies!

made my 2nd trip out yesterday, hit up the Vedder around the K-W Bridge, no dice.  caught 3 trees though!  now it's time to figure out some good patterns for stripping in my fly.  It feels so good being out there though,  after every day at a park practicing on grass, or now with 2 days on water, my casts are getting a little bit better every day.

Merry Christmas everyone! and thanks for all the support, and thanks for those books Rick!

Dan

roseph

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »

I think the word addiction is a bit of an understatement.

My one piece of advice is learn how to do a proper double haul ASAP.  Really helps in all aspects of casting imho.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »

yeah thank you so much Rick! i can't wait to read it and tell all of my friends to go out and buy copies!

Dan

Hey Dan, Sorry I have not had the time to get the books out yet, will get them out to you this week, unless you want to pick them up at my home in Cloverdale, up to you.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek

Author of:
&

Pro Staff:
Howard Hackle

gmachine19

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »

I bought my firs fly rod from walmart 1 year ago. Never really used it until this seasons pink salmon run. Now I'm hooked!
You should've been here yesterday!