Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Had a little help collecting my ducks today  (Read 6504 times)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
Had a little help collecting my ducks today
« on: December 14, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »

Hi everyone, this is Beau, my buddies lab. This would be the first time I have hunted (successfully at least) with a retriever and what a blast it was to see the dog getting all pumped up and diving in after birds!

The hunt it self was short, only about 2 hours, and all the ducks came in the first 30 minutes if I remember correctly.

Ain't he a ham?  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Had a little help collecting my ducks today
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 07:38:40 AM »

Can't beat having a dog to be able to hunt waterfowl with.

The duck with the dog looks like a Gadwall Mallard cross?

Thanks for sharing the photo.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 11:24:01 AM »

AWESOME!  Man, I can't WAIT to get a dog.  lol  He's a great looking pup. 

kid fisherman

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »

Nice shooting!

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:14:22 AM »

He is a Beau pup  ;)

There are LOTS of ducks down here, we are in the central flyway so its not too hard to find lots of ducks. However, by the time they get here, they know to avoid decoys and blinds...  The real challenge here is to find ducks and no people  ;D  So far I have only hunted spots with relatively low pressure (just my group most days) that many people would overlook. Down here in the southern US, there is relatively little public land (95% privately owned) to shoot on.  The spot I found and had success on is on public land a half mile walk from the parking lot, and well hidden to the point that people just walk (or quad sometimes) by. So as long as I don't chop in a good trail or leave my empty shells lying around, I hope that it remains my secret spot and I will have it all to myself for the remainder of my stay!

I also have another spot I hunt that gets birds on route to their feeding ground (at the end of the bay), and it works well because again, it gets the birds before anyone on shore starts calling them or trying to get a lucky shot. Although it doesn't look far, thats a full 200 or more yards from shore, and perhaps a bit too much work to get to (there is a right way to get to it, and then there is the swimming way)  ;D ;D ;D

I even hauled in timber for a little spot for Beau to rest, although he doesn't seem to rest much.

kid fisherman

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 08:01:40 PM »

Nice set up you got there, How long does your season go till?

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 04:24:59 PM »

Ducks go until the end of January. Then its goose only for another month and a half. Goose season has more of a harvest feel to it as there are no limits, electronic calls are allowed and unplugged guns are allowed as well... Definitely a good time to stay away from busy spots  :o

Speeking of geese, I had a flock of canadas walk over to my house today to watch me wash my car  ;D  So I got them a bit of sliced bread and a bit of hose water to wash it down. These are park geese and they know better than to leave the city I think. I'm gonna try and get a goose tommorow (not those one  ;D )

kid fisherman

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 05:30:06 PM »

Same here going out tomorrow in the pm for some ducks and hopefully some geese. good luck.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »

Went out extra early so I could set up in the spot I wanted.

Got to LST and it wasn't long for a bunch of gadwalls to come in. I passed because I couldn't see what they were, and then they decided to hang out with my decoys.  A few minutes later 2 mallards stopped by for a visit and landed not 3 yards from me. I watched them for a while and they seemed to know something was up, so after a few minutes I flushed em and took this one. I think i may have been the first person to shoot on the whole lake and it was probably 10 or 15 minutes after legal shooting time!  ::)

Not much happened after that, a few birds came in while I was stretching or moving decoys. Even my neighbors weren't making many shots. Seems the ducks have all learned to stay put during the day, or have all gone somewhere else. 2 shells spent, 1 duck bagged, overall a great day even if ducks weren't flying much.

How did you all do? 

kid fisherman

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:52:55 PM »

Out of the 4 shots I took last night I hit nothing :'( My shooting was pathetic, hoping to do better when I get out on Friday!

Silex-user

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »

Hey Jonny5 check out Huntingbc.ca there is section on waterfowl hunting.

Pretty much me and hunting buddies get our limit of mostly mallards all time. We hunt on private farm lands for last 35 odd years.

Silex-user