Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO Cuts  (Read 3456 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
DFO Cuts
« on: December 12, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »

Just heard that 400 DFO positions are being cut today, watch for the story coming out in tomorrow's the Vancouver Sun.

More bad news for an already understaffed ministry. :(

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: DFO Cuts
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:43:11 PM »

Just heard that 400 DFO positions are being cut today, watch for the story coming out in tomorrow's the Vancouver Sun.

More bad news for an already understaffed ministry. :(

As long as it's all top managers that are being cut, I am all in favor.....  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

StillAqua

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »

As long as it's all top managers that are being cut, I am all in favor.....  ;D
Then I'll bet you won't be in favour........it's always the worker bees and their families that take the hit not the Ottawa bosses...and just before Christmas yet.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:14:30 PM »

Bad News For Employees At Fisheries and Oceans

Ottawa, December 12, 2011 – The Grinch came calling today, as some 400 employees of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) received news that nobody wants to hear, especially during the Holiday Season: they may soon be out of a job. Approximately half of the affected employees are represented by the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada (PIPSC).

"We’ve always known that attrition would be insufficient to meet the government’s public service reduction targets", said PIPSC President Gary Corbett, reacting to the announcement. "While our members at the DFO are covered by the provisions of Work Force Adjustment, some of them may lose their jobs. This is particularly bad news for the smaller communities where these positions will be lost, when you take into account the people and businesses that directly and indirectly depend on them. The government may claim that Canadians will get more for their tax dollar from the Department, but frankly I just don’t see how taking jobs and money out of those areas will accomplish anything positive".

DFO activities affected by the cuts include the conservation and protection of Canada’s fisheries, the management, conservation and protection of Canada's oceans, hydrographic surveying and charting, the conduct of environmental assessments, and aquaculture and stock assessment. In addition, the Canadian Coast Guard is also impacted as part of its reorganization plans.

"Strategic Reviews aren't paper exercises and they have very real, negative consequences on the people, programs and services that protect Canadians. You can't keep cutting staff and budgets and expect government departments to keep serving the Public Good as if nothing happened", concluded Corbett.

The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada represents some 60,000 professionals and scientists across Canada’s public sector.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 05:22:09 PM »

The second to last bit summed it up for me. Great.

Now the next time you call the DFO O.R.R. line you'll probably get an answering a machine, or an overseas call centre  :D

I guess now there'll be fewer enforcement officers during 'harvest' season.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »

Bad news. I wonder how many from BC?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »

Tragic.....so how long before we blame fish farms for this one too. ;)
Take the T out of Morton.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 01:37:43 PM »

Tragic.....so how long before we blame fish farms for this one too. ;)
I'm sure great minds are working on it Bassonator :D :D :D

jacked55

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »

looks like i will be pulling my application.
 :'(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:43:34 PM »

Heard today that some layoff notices were handed out in the FOC habitat division in Vancouver, no news story on this yet.