Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buy a boat?  (Read 5658 times)

Ned

Buy a boat?
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:19:38 PM »

Hi all. I am looking to buy a boat which will allow me to fish the Fraser/Vedder (with an applicable license) plus lake fishing. I would like something with the ability to put on a smaller electric engine or a smaller gas motor for currents (like the Fraser). Any ideas where to start looking?

Thanks!

EZ_Rolling

Re: Buy a boat?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »

sounds like an awesome boat when you find it let me know I will get one as well...

seriously that's asking a lot for one boat  :o

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:35:54 AM »

You might want to look at Zodiac boats.   They have a few models that would do all three activities you are looking for.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:26:58 AM »

I've seen guys out there with a 10 or 12 foot aluminum and maybe a 6 hp motor on the fraser but they are going so slow.  It looks dangerous.  Not enough power to tackle the current. 
Get a 12 foot boat with a 9.9 or 15hp.  This will get up on plane with 2 guys, and also small enough to haul in to lakes.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:45:35 AM »

Agreed with Driller a 6hp is good for the vedder but not enough meat for the non tidal fraser.
Both rivers can get quite shallow I would reccomend a short leg outboard and a spare prop.

island boy

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »

i've got a sturdy 12 footer and a 15hp and have no problems anywhere. also a great lake boat with the electric on it. once you get into the bigger 16 footers they can be somewhat more of a bitch in the smaler lakes.
you kill it, you clean it.

66TWH

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »

I did my due diligence on this as well, looking for this diversability. Most of the 12' boats out there are shallow - narrow stye suitable for lakes and calm waters but not the smartest for the Chilliwack Fraser. 
I ended up with a Lund WC-12. Deeper hull and wider beam. I can put it in the box of my pick up and drag it into any suitable spot to launch. This unit has been awesome for stabilty and ability to plow thru anything without worries. I paired it with a 9.8 which gets up and goes easily with myself and one of my kids. If i had another adult in front then would not get totally up on plane and slowed significantly. This was annoying when making a bit of a run but maybe not so much on most lakes. Since most 9.8 to 15hp motors are similar in weight / size - i would consider the more power to traverse the Chilliwack Fraser with ease. This boat is rated for 15hp and the short shaft will help somewhat in that area.
The boat weighs a bit more but i am still able to drag it around myself and get it into the back of my truck. Two people ....... no issues and you can also buy removable wheels if you find yourself having to travel bit to the water.             

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »

12ft aluminum with a 9.9 is a pretty versatile boat, if slightly underpowered.  Many interior lakes have a 9.9 max power limit, so a 9.9 is going to allow you legally fish more lakes with the boat.  You're asking a lot of a single boat to do all that.  Wouldn't be the close to ideal for the Vedder though, but theres not need to take a boat in there anyways and you'll upset the people on the shore.  If you want to irk the shoreline crowd, then a jet with a tiller handle would work best for the Vedder but thats going to cost some coin.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:20:02 PM by Matt »

colin6101

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »

You can definitely run the Vedder to the mouth with a 12footer and a 9.9, but as others have said it is a bit under powered for the non tidal Fraser.

Ned

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 05:51:53 AM »

Thanks for the tips! Any reliable/trusted online vendors to recommend, or do I start wading through Craigslist?

66TWH

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 10:57:22 AM »

12 ft lund - 2002 wc adventure model
 1998  9.9 2 stroke mercury 
2005 salt water king trailer             

its a very solid setup and will live on for years
selling for 2750$
kosanin50@hotmail.com

serious people only if you'd like some pics , or come by anytime for a viewing in vancouver

This was posted a while back in FWR - buy sell section if you are not a member. There was one more that was boat only WC-12 but i was not able to locate it so probably sold or taken off. 
I worked on craigs list for a log time until the right unit came along. I would not worry about finding a package deal as I dealt with a few people to put together everything.
I should have been more clear in my post as well. Previous posters are correct in that 9.9 is not the best deal to wander the upper section of the fraser / non tidal. One person fine but two people really bogs the front down and makes it work too much.  Hwy 1 to the vedder mouth is non issue for lighter power and thats about as far as you would want to get into the vedder anyways without causing some trouble with the shore crowd to KWB and beyond.         

island boy

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 06:03:55 PM »

check cascade in chilliwack. they have some used princecrafts in there most of the time. princecraft ungava is the way to go.
you kill it, you clean it.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 06:36:08 PM »

When the boatlaunch under the Port Mann opened ..for a few years it was not very well known that it existed...hardly anyone used it...
Well today it is used very heavily ...by boaters.
But we'd launch from there with a 14 ft fiberglass car topper ..nice wide boat & we 'd boat in various areas... & bottom fish for sturgeon.

Once when going down river on the Fraser near the Pitt River....it got kinda scary as the currents were so fast..  :o

But we made out ok with that boat with a 9.9 but sure would not want anything less.