Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overfishing  (Read 2334 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Overfishing
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:52:35 AM »

Overfishing dramatically depleting ocean stocks

B.C. study says supply in northern waters down 90% since 1950s

The study, published online Monday in the journal Marine Ecology Progress Series, says predator species in north Pacific and Atlantic waters have dropped by more than 90 per cent since the 1950s.

The study found that predator species are also experiencing a dramatic decline in the south seas as those species are caught and sent to northern markets for consumption.

'What happens next when we have nowhere left to turn?'
—Researcher Laura Tremblay-Boyer"It's important because fish are the last food we harvest from the wild at any type of scale," said lead author Laura Tremblay-Boyer. "When you eat fish, it's usually a predator fish. Whether it's a fish stick or you're at the restaurant, it most likely comes from another country."

Tremblay-Boyer, now a PhD student at UBC, said she conducted the research while finishing her master's degree.

Because it's impossible to count fish in the world's oceans, Tremblay-Boyer and her fellow researchers developed a model that analyzed data such as ocean temperature, the presence of algae, and the distance in the food chain that predator species were to the algae, much like a food pyramid.

The scientists also used a global database of fisheries catches between 1950 and 2006.

Tremblay-Boyer said the results were much like checking a bank account balance for the world's oceans.

"The global overview we have is most definitely not showing a great account balance," she said. "It's going down."

Comparable to clearcuts
She also said fishing is a huge driving force in the deterioration of the marine ecosystem, noting that the removal of fish from the ocean can be compared to clearcuts in the Amazon.

"After running out of predator fish in the north Atlantic and Pacific, rather than implementing strict management and enforcement, the fishing industry pointed its bows south," co-author Daniel Pauly said in a media statement.

"The southern hemisphere predators are now on the same trajectory as the ones in the northern hemisphere. What happens next when we have nowhere left to turn?"

Tremblay-Boyer said it's interesting to see how the decline in predator fish has spread from the north to the south, a fact she said will have some very human impacts.

"We have the choice if we're going to eat steak, or tofu or fish," she said. "Some people can only eat fish because they live by the coast. When we eat fish that comes from the south we affect those people."

© The Canadian Press, 2011

StillAqua

Re: Overfishing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 02:54:18 PM »

So we should be truning to fish farms for our fish?  ??? Or eat more chicken..... ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »

So we should be truning to fish farms for our fish?  ??? Or eat more chicken..... ;D
I knew that was coming when I posted the above I wonder why it took so long. ;D ;D ;D

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 05:08:36 PM »

I knew that was coming when I posted the above I wonder why it took so long. ;D ;D ;D

I'm just gonna order steam at restaurants.

bcguy

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 11:11:22 AM »

I dont think the problem is with the Canadian based fisheries, but how do you control the world wide over fishing problem.
A good example is the over fishing of tuna stocks. There is just so much money it, that there will always be proponents to continue until the complete collapse so they can continue to generate revenue. If there was one fish or drop of oil left, some one would argue to take it, no matter what the consequences.
Why? because...some humans are so greedy and self centered they are unable to care for the well being of the future generations. Who cares whats left of our environment if they are comfortable and are making money. Fishing, oil, mining, are all prime examples.
Instead of trying to create the most revenue by processing within Canada, companies chose to export with as little processing as possible, sacrificing Canadian jobs and our resources in order for them to generate as much revenue as possible with as little value added as possible.
Capital has no conscience.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »

- Let them eat Cake..

--These are always worst case scenarios.... not everyone in the world has to eat fish, all of the time.  In season diets including fruits and vegetables and small plots of land even in Africa can produce 3 crops of rice in one year. We need reasonable diversity and not just exploitation of the cheapest food sources which are basically mining of the ocean or land... Sustainable fishing in combination with managed sustainable farmed crops including fish... but just not one solution for all.

--Lets get serious about world food management through some body such as United Nations or even the other corporately controlled world court (another story altogether).
--We need some kind of Organization that can facilitate discussion and provide concensus decisions with the ability to follow through.
--I don't expect to see it in my lifetime but we in BC should be setting an example to the world given the resources available to our province.