Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead tidal fraser  (Read 7277 times)

frozensalmon

steelhead tidal fraser
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »

hi

it's my first steelhead season, kinda of want to try to find steelhead like fishing pinks at ricmond fraser lol (shore fishing)
but Is it 99% likely you won't find steelheads in tidal fraser (Richmond fraser, mission etc..) ?
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.htm
table says limit is 2,  (steelhead is in trout catalog I guess?)

correct me if i'm wrong
more coho, more coho... ::)

mistermongz

Re: steelhead tidal fraser
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 12:04:11 AM »

Good luck with trying to get a steelhead in the tidal.... ;)
Fish on!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 12:58:48 AM »

table says limit is 2,  (steelhead is in trout catalog I guess?)

That is correct. In tidal waters, steelhead fall in the trout category.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/trout-truite-eng.htm

Catching a steelhead in the Tidal Fraser River is rare, but not impossible. Personally I have never done it as I don't spend much time fishing the Tidal Fraser River during winter months, but have heard regular old timers doing so in past seasons when the runs were good. My guess is if you invest enough time in it, then you should come across one eventually.

frozensalmon

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:16:59 AM »

just like what I thought! even tho it's like impossible but I probably will try
 ::)  Thanks  !!
more coho, more coho... ::)

therise

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:50:42 AM »

The secret to fishing... Fish where the fish are!

fishinmansam

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 06:39:43 PM »

Interesting thread. I've seen steelhead caught up by hope in the winter months by feeder creek mouths and in the mainstem. Try out the tidal your bound to get one on If your in the right spot. Bait would probably be a must, try some roe or prawns and roe.

Good luck and tight lines.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 08:12:15 PM »

Back in the day when we bar fished for cohos off Brownsville Bar the odd steelhead was caught. Recently saw a pic from the Freds store in Abby of a gentleman that caught a hatch steel,  bar fishing in the Langley area. It is possible. Fish a good productive bar with roe and u have a chance.

VirtualFisher

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 09:37:06 PM »

Back in the day when we bar fished for cohos off Brownsville Bar the odd steelhead was caught. Recently saw a pic from the Freds store in Abby of a gentleman that caught a hatch steel,  bar fishing in the Langley area. It is possible. Fish a good productive bar with roe and u have a chance.

I guess this is the gentleman you are talking about.  Following is the facebook link to his picture taken at Fred's Custom Tackle in Abbotsford.

https://www.facebook.com/fredscustomtackle/photos/a.115033951919245.24337.113421562080484/928748450547787/?type=3&theater

He caught this steelhead bar fishing on the Fraser River earlier this month  (Jan 8, 2016).

Tangles

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »

I would imagine it's totally doable. Last season I caught a chrome slab of chinook doe while twitching for pinks around Coquitlam. A few years ago at almost the same spot I caught my biggest coho ever, much bigger than anything I've seen before and after and also lost another comparable sized fish a few casts later, both wild. Only fished for an hour that day with no people to be seen around.
That's the beauty of the Fraser - you never know what can surprise you!
I say give it a go and Tight Lines!  :)

hrenya

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 02:25:20 AM »

keep in mind "no fishing for salmon" in fraser now  , good luck proving DFO with you fish for steelhead with bar rig with roe :D
last September I had lots of fun proving that I fish for pike minnows with spoons at garry point when was no fishing for pinks :D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 08:25:06 AM »

I haven't been seriously bar fishing the lower Fraser for 40 years now and never did much of it in winter. One early March day my father and I went to Duncan Bar out past Langley and talked with a pair of guys who had fished a day or 2 every weekend with ghost shrimp and roe and said they had caught 9 since about Xmas. They said it was mostly a long cold wet and miserable wait between strikes. Cutthroat were the most frequent fish caught in winter and it was just the odd fish.

Summer runs were not infrequent catches at Brownsville Bar back then - fish probably heading to the Coq' and Silverhope up the valley. It was kind of known these fish would hold off that bar (it was a decrepit old dock at the time) before passing under the Pattullo Bridge. When the Thompson runs was in the 1,000s rather than 100s the odd fish was caught in the lower river particularly in Richmond. However more fish were caught in the Chilliwack to Hope section than in the Thompson itself.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

poper

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 09:02:48 AM »

I saw 1 caught this year bar fishing coho roe and a couple nice size bull trout, I had no luck but the rod beside me was doing ok,he said that is was the first 1 he had caught bar fishing in 15 years, lol, so there is a chance. We were in the mission area.Forgot to mention it was about 10lb hatch doe
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:05:15 AM by poper »

Toprod

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 09:53:40 AM »

In the 90s used to see old timers barfishing at triangle bar in Richmond for steel in the winter.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »

keep in mind "no fishing for salmon" in fraser now  , good luck proving DFO with you fish for steelhead with bar rig with roe :D
last September I had lots of fun proving that I fish for pike minnows with spoons at garry point when was no fishing for pinks :D
No salmon running in the Fraser now. Wouldn't be hard to prove at all. Lots of old timers out there now bar fishing for Steelhead, Cuthroat and sea run Bulls. My dad used to be one of them. He's passed on now.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 02:09:44 PM »

No salmon running in the Fraser now. Wouldn't be hard to prove at all. Lots of old timers out there now bar fishing for Steelhead, Cuthroat and sea run Bulls. My dad used to be one of them. He's passed on now.

You would be surprised.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/abor-autoc/2007FrasRvrChkInformDocument.htm#_Toc159834695