Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knot advice  (Read 5367 times)

jacked55

Knot advice
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »

Looking to find out what knot is best when tying a hook leader line to a swivel? This year for salmon i was using the double improved clinch knot, but i noticed that the majority of time when my line was broken off it was at that spot on the leader, nearest that knot. My bait loop always seemed to hold. Can anyone offer advice on a better knot i should be using so if i hook into some bigger fish i dont lose my line.
Thanks.

prairiefire

Re: Knot advice
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »

"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

prairiefire

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »

This site gives a good video of how to tie various knots and a good description and application for each knot.  http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Good site FF! Apps are great for your smartphone too!  :D
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

therise

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »

I tie the Palomar knot any time I can (especially on large diameter line), but the double improved clinch is a close second

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:47:02 AM »

i've never had a problem with the improved clinch knot....could it be you're not wetting the line before tightening the knot? don't forget anytime you twist mono (as in tying a bait loop) it creates heat and can have a melting or fraying effect on the line, which in turn, can weaken it's integrity.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:15:07 PM »

the improved clinch doesn't provide more than about 95% of the line strength so it will usually break at the knot. The Palomar knot is a stronger knot and close to 100% as is the trilene knot sometimes called the double loop clinch.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CastCatch

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »

I found Improved Clinch knot doesn't work well, lost a few jigs this chum season.
used union knot and it never failed.

funpig

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »

I was bar fishing in Richmond about a month ago and nice retired Filipino guy named Victor showed me a really nice strong knot.  He couldn't tell me if the knot had any name;  some other guy showed it to him.   I have not seen it before on the net.  I'll just call it "Victor's knot" after the guy who showed it to me.   Anyways I'll try to describe it:

1.  Fold about 5 inches of tag end of the line back onto the main line to form a simple loop.  

2.  Put the loop through the eye of the hook.  (ie same as put end of the line through eye and then double back through the eye in the other direction so you have loop on one side of eye and the mainline and tag end out the the other side of eye)

3.  Fold the loop over the top of the eye of the hook and lay it against the main line.

4.  Pinch the loop and main line with your fingers holding them together.

5.  Wrap the tag end around the loop and mainline working the wraps away from the eye and up towards the main line and the top of the loop.  It helps to pinch the tag wraps with your fingers holding the loop and mainline.

6.  Stick the tag end through the loop.

7.   Lubricate

8.  Pull on mainline and the tag end until knot tightens.

9.  Clip the tag end

When the knot is finished, you will have two lines wrapping the eye, the loop will clinch the tag end and there will be about 5-6 snell-like wraps around the mainline and original loop.  It's a good looking knot and in theory should be pretty strong.

Victor says he has been using it for years and that it is way stronger than the other conventional knots.  He struck me as a guy who knew what he was doing.  He hooked into about four cohos and a chum that day.  Very nice guy.  He was offering up his freshly cured roe to the other guys around him and he gave me a bar rig to use instead of my simple three way swivel set-up (Nothing worked for me).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:03:16 PM by funpig »

Animal Chin

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 05:35:39 PM »

Victor is a good guy, I have to get him to show me that knot.

In the meantime, I find the trilene knot to work really well for me. I came from the improved cinch knot, but find the trilene is easier to tie and has held really well for me fishing chum. I'd imagine the palomar is a pretty good knot too.

DRP79

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 05:39:12 PM »

Hey funpig, that knot sounds like the first one shown in that steelheadstalkers link above. The fish-n-fool knot.

funpig

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »

Hey funpig, that knot sounds like the first one shown in that steelheadstalkers link above. The fish-n-fool knot.

I just checked out the fish-n-fool knot.  It is different.  No idea if it is better or knot.  Like I said, I did not catch anything (that day or since).  But after Victor's knot is tied, it looks good and strong.

Check out this website:  http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

The very first step of Victor's Knot starts out the same as the "Worlds Fair Knot" but the finish is completely different.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:30:15 PM by funpig »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »

cant go wrong with the Bimini Twist
knot that I can tie it lol but its double tough

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »

I also agree with the Palomar knot but there is a knot I use 90% of the time and never had a fish snap my knot. Neither has my dad and hes been fishing for 40+ years. I dint know the name of this knot but it is super simple. Just put your line through the swivel, have about 2-5 inches (what ever your comfortable with), make three loops with the tag end around your mainline. It should look like three rings around your mainline right by the swivel. Then lubricate and put the tag end through all three loops and pull it tight.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 01:01:24 AM »

BC - you just descibed the Clinch knot. thats the knot i use because it hardly fails compared to an improved clinch which tends to get weakened when pulled tight. I also normally use 5-8 wraps because i have found that less can continue to pull through unless you leave a decent tag end.

if im tying a swivel then my larger diameter line will get a Palomer knot and the thinner line a Clinch and only because you cant do a Palomer knot when its already attached to something so the Clinch it is and if your hook is stuck then it will always break on the Clinch knot side of the swivel.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 10:20:12 AM »

the improved clinch knot is a very good knot. Easy to tie and tighten, uses very little line and very reliable. Yes there are stronger knots. If some other knots test a few % higher then the gain is typical less than half a pound.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.