Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About fishing reports on well-known rivers  (Read 5360 times)

milo

• Old Timer
About fishing reports on well-known rivers
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me that some people get their knickers in a knot because someone posted a report about their success fishing for salmon on a well-known and well-advertised river. But what I find truly unbelievable is that some people actually plan a fishing trip based on someone's report! ::)

Here's the golden rule to follow when it comes to someone's fishing report on a great day fishing: You should have been there yesterday. :D

Anything else is old news, water under the bridge, past perfect tense, history, passe...

Create your own fantastic day by being in the right place at the right time.
Don't count on someone else's reports as it will only set you up for disappointment.

That said, I should have been there yesterday, eh mastercaster?  :o

frozensalmon

Re: About fishing reports on well-known rivers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 08:13:38 PM »

it's not like you can fish everyday dude.... 
more coho, more coho... ::)

mistermongz

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me that some people get their knickers in a knot because someone posted a report about their success fishing for salmon on a well-known and well-advertised river. But what I find truly unbelievable is that some people actually plan a fishing trip based on someone's report! ::)

Here's the golden rule to follow when it comes to someone's fishing report on a great day fishing: You should have been there yesterday. :D

Anything else is old news, water under the bridge, past perfect tense, history, passe...

Don't count on someone else's reports as it will only set you up for disappointment.

THIS is the post of the century LOL.. made my day thanks...
Fish on!!!

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:28:15 AM »

lol this should be sticky noted

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:31:11 AM »

One can draw experience from fishing report. 
When someone else had a successful day.  It would be good for the reader to take a  note on weather (sky condition, temp), water level, tide, time of the day (if it's offered by OP).

Next time when similar condition present itself, give it a try.   ;)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 11:19:27 AM »

Well Said.....

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 01:18:48 PM »

Ha, ha, I agree 100% but I still read the reports regularly when the Salmon season is in full swing  ;)

I do it in part because it does give me some idea whats working for people and the general river conditions.   It is also fun to read other peoples reports but I doubt I would be any worse off without them.  River conditions seem change so quickly that knowing how things were yesterday seems to make little difference.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:05:27 PM »

Not only does this apply to a specific river but it also applies to a specific spot. That one spot where someone limits out on coho may be void of coho the next day. ( or even a few hours ) I read reports just to read a story on how someone does. It does not influence me on where I will fish that day.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

mikeyman

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 04:15:17 PM »

once  a solid report is posted...GONG, here comes the crouds x 10!!!! I don't like to post actual reports anymore because all the internet bashing makes me cry.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 04:32:52 PM »

I love reading the reports, especially the day before going out as it gives me an idea of where not to fish lol.  If a section of the river gets mentioned on the internet and if even one person does well then you can pretty much gaurantee that that area will be busy the next day.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »

So if someone says they had a few fish on at the Stave then the next day it's going to be shatty fishing there. Ya right, it will just be another bootsauce day.

Fishing the ocean is another story.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »

Geff's comment doesn't apply to the Stave as it's only a couple of KM long and as such when the fish are in it's a guaranteed boot sauce day and a guaranteed gong show at the same time. Plenty of water to fish on the Vedder and wise to avoid a specific area mentioned the following couple of days if you don't like crowds.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »

The standard approach is to get there in the dark so you have #1 chance at catching the fish. Better still BYOC (bring your own crowd ) so you can lay claim to more turf or surf.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?