Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jigs ??  (Read 2670 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Jigs ??
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »

When fishing on the Stave , what length of leader when using a jig  ??

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Jigs ??
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »

anything over 16" is fine, when I use 3/4oz. jigs I don't even use wieght.
when i do add weight its 1 split shot under the float.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:16:39 PM by canso »

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »

I usually use around 12"-18" max and have no problems catching on the stave - and hardly any foul hooked fish...
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Animal Chin

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »

Not sure if this is even necessary, but anything helps.... get $1 worth of deli cooked shrimp from Safeway and spider thread a piece on the hook. Guy at Pacific Angler told me to give it a shot and it worked wonders last time I floated at jig at the Stave. The guy beside me was getting as much if not more and he was just using a jig without the shrimp, so not sure if it helped, but I figure why not.

For a while it was fish on every cast .... non I wanted to keep of course. At one point I kind of wanted a break, my arm was getting sore. Not sure, but I swear they looked fresher at first light, the one fish I lost just as was landing it was silver... of course. The rest, pretty colored to downright gnarly.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:58:32 PM »

Not sure if this is even necessary, but anything helps.... get $1 worth of deli cooked shrimp from Safeway and spider thread a piece on the hook. Guy at Pacific Angler told me to give it a shot and it worked wonders last time I floated at jig at the Stave. The guy beside me was getting as much if not more and he was just using a jig without the shrimp, so not sure if it helped, but I figure why not.

For a while it was fish on every cast .... non I wanted to keep of course. At one point I kind of wanted a break, my arm was getting sore. Not sure, but I swear they looked fresher at first light, the one fish I lost just as was landing it was silver... of course. The rest, pretty colored to downright gnarly.

you may have had some coho at first light
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

grumpy

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 07:49:12 AM »

pending on the water level usually. I use anywhere from 12to24" and adjust the float according.

azafai

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 11:05:10 AM »

not too long but also not too close to your lead-wight (possibly scaring off or deterring the fish), like as it is mentioned around a 16-18 inches.

brownmancheng

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »

Hey guys do you prefer to dead drift your jigs under a float or do you 'twitch' them? If so, what is the technique used to twitch them? And does it vary between species?  I've been noticing I often get bites from chum while fixing a rats nest or anything that changes the drift.

azafai

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 02:26:12 PM »

twitching a bit by slightly moving the tip of your rod while letting it dead drift.

that gives it some "deadly" action under water.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »

For the Stave I go with 10-12 inches max when fishing jigs. Just dead drift them and hold on.