Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RAPP Worked  (Read 11521 times)

roseph

Re: RAPP Worked
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »

I agree!!!!

I know that they are short on funds, so they can't hire many officers. I know SOOOOO many people that would be willing to pay double on the Salmon tag, that way it can go to the DFO and they can hire more Officers!!!!!!!

We as fishermen will have to foot the bill, you know the government won't

I'm gonna assume they DID show up because of the call.

I agree that more officers would be great, we wouldn't have to see as much crap on the rivers.  I just don't think it'll ever happen b/c it's just too expensive.  Even if 20K anglers bought a salmon tag at $30 (double), that extra $15 you're collecting will add up to 300K.  That's like 6 more officers?  What do we need to cover just the Fraser Valley during salmon season?  then what do these new CO's do the rest of the year?

RAPP is good because they're 'on-demand'.  They might not always show up in time but at least there's a system in place that is cost effective. 

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »

Certain spots on the Stave, Vedder, Capilano, amongst a few other places always have violators during the peak seasons.

The last 3 times I have peeked at Cable Pool @ Cap there has been nothing except deliberate snagging.  One person is a member of this site I recognize from pics. ::) BTW you are terrible at snagging.  Another time this year a couple kids I recognize from this site as well were trying to net stale pinks  ::)  Secret is safe as touching moldy fish is punishment enough.

My point is there is no fear amongst these goofs that they will get caught and a steady patrol and presence at popular meatholes would help deter them.  I think also signage would help.  Clear rules and regs placed at the popular meatholes with fines listed.

shi man oh man

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »

there should be DFO or CO's permenetly stationed on the stave, the amount of revenue they would make each day from giving out violations would more than pay the wages of the officers. Glad to hear RAPP worked. each time i fish this river I see countless acts of fish cruelty, and disregard for the regulations.

ktt

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 05:26:38 PM »

Well done!  jacked55.  Do you know how much the fine was?
Yes, we need more officers, but since they don't have the rescourse, I think another way to reduce these poachers is to increase the amount of the fine, make it high enough (eg. minimun $1000 and higher for other more serious violation )  to make anyone think more seriously before they try to poach. Triple the fine and seized their fishing license (both salt water and fresh water) and no fishing license will be issue to him/her for the next three years if they are caught for the second time within the same licensed year for the same reason.
These punishments should be printed clearly on the fishing license and on the fishing regulation booklets. Further more, the local media should be told if a serious violation case is being caught and what the punishment is so that the public will get the notice.

wizard

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »

good on you for calling in this poacher.  Poaching really is a huge issue  I beleive has to be taken alot more seriously then it previously is.  Hopefully there will be a time when poaching is far more uncommon, because this level of poaching is out of hand and is right infront of everyone to see and is still largley tolerated.

It is so frusterating seeing this and knowing all these guys have to do is put on a $2.50 jig and a float and they will catch just as much except all in the mouth.

Hopefully this guy learned his lesson.

StillAqua

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 06:09:20 PM »

Way to go Jacked55......that's sweet RAPP music for the ears.  ;D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 07:13:59 PM »

Last year when we saw people retaining chum at the Stave when it was closed to retention, DFO was called and they did show up. Maybe they respond to the Stave because they know of all the shenanigans that go on there.  Anyway, good on you for calling it in. 

noobfisher

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »

Kudo's to you and to the DFO for dealing with that moron.  Proof that calling the RAPP line works, :)

jacked55

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 08:55:08 PM »

i actually know they did come because of my report because they said they used my description from the call to RAPP to spot him, and video record his "techniques" from the west bank for about a half hour before approaching him and only him. When i saw DFO roll up on the guy i was thinking in my head, oh this is sweet Karma. And, i managed to catch 2 decent chums despite all the extra distractions. So great day after all.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »

There should be 'meter maid' type ticket givers out there.  $20/hour contract workers doling out tickets.

Imagine a few of them working the meat holes.

mzmann

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 09:50:19 PM »

There should be 'meter maid' type ticket givers out there.  $20/hour contract workers doling out tickets.

Imagine a few of them working the meat holes.

And imagine the unarmed/untrained "meter maids" coming upon/ticketing someone with a temper with no one around.....just cant see that being a good idea, lol.
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 10:32:52 PM »

There is danger in any job.

Who said untrained?

No different than a meter maid.  They have to deal with all kinds of sh1t as part of their job.

Sure its not for the faint of heart.  But knowing how and when to approach someone or record from a distance or both.  Imagine if they had 'live' cameras with them that as they approach someone, it is recorded and monitored remotely.

Just spit balling here.  I'm sure there is something that can be done to help curtail flagrant misuse of our precious resource.  No solution would be perfect.

Cost Effectiveness, More Feet on the ground, Highly Trained
Pick Two

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 11:41:01 PM »

And imagine the unarmed/untrained "meter maids" coming upon/ticketing someone with a temper with no one around.....just cant see that being a good idea, lol.

writing tickets for a parked vehicle which is usually unoccupied with the owner absent, using just a licence plate number cannot be compared to the extremely confrontational work of giving someone a poaching ticket.

There is danger in any job.

Who said untrained?

No different than a meter maid.  They have to deal with all kinds of sh1t as part of their job.

Sure its not for the faint of heart.  But knowing how and when to approach someone or record from a distance or both.  Imagine if they had 'live' cameras with them that as they approach someone, it is recorded and monitored remotely.

Just spit balling here.  I'm sure there is something that can be done to help curtail flagrant misuse of our precious resource.  No solution would be perfect.

Cost Effectiveness, More Feet on the ground, Highly Trained
Pick Two

Try going up to a guy and demanding his licence and slapping him with a fine and possibly taking his gear and or fish...I think it will be a pretty 'different' response. But with proper training and tools to do the job this might work. But try getting this approved  :-\ doesnt seem likely, although it would be great

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 11:45:20 PM »

writing tickets for a parked vehicle which is usually unoccupied with the owner absent, using just a licence plate number cannot be compared to the extremely confrontational work of giving someone a poaching ticket.
Try going up to a guy and demanding his licence and slapping him with a fine and possibly taking his gear and or fish...I think it will be a pretty 'different' response. But with proper training and tools to do the job this might work. But try getting this approved  :-\ doesnt seem likely, although it would be great
Meter maids arent tow truck drivers. They hand out tickets. If the person refuses, becomes violent then the authorities are called. Same idea. Although I understand youre not dealing with cars in this situation.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Sam6140

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 12:00:44 AM »

Wow...that guy sounds like a real psychopath.  Perhaps a current or future serial killer.  To throw a rock at a fish like that, laugh and kick it????!   Truly deranged!