Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you bring a kid to Chehalis River for fishing?  (Read 4698 times)

CastCatch

Can you bring a kid to Chehalis River for fishing?
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:21:25 PM »

My son’s school has a pro day the coming Thursday. I will take a day off and bring him to do some fishing. Thinking about targeting coho, for which I have never done before. From reading the posts on this site it seems only Chehalis River has some coho opportunities at this time. I have never been to that river.  So my question is, is it safe to bring a 6-year-old kid there, can I find a place that hike less than 20 minutes safely and possibly catch one coho. Is it worth going at all?

Since the drive takes more than three hours in return, I will search for some opinions before I go. Thanks!

TheChumWhisperer

Re: Can you bring a kid to Chehalis River for fishing?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:02:42 AM »

Not a good idea ...

farky

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:04:33 AM »

Although i have never been, i have heard that the terrain on the chehalis would be less than favorable. Maybe you should give the mid or upper vedder a try.... although it is late in the run there are still a few clean fish to be had .Also there are lots of spots with lots of beach for him to explore with relative safety.

Stuart Dickinson

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 06:48:41 AM »

Above the bridge, absolutely not.  If you park at the campsite by the bridge and walk down the Western side, there is plenty of fishable water within 20 minutes walk that is relatively safe, no more dangerous than any other Lower Mainland river IMHO.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 07:01:25 AM »

My son’s school has a pro day the coming Thursday. I will take a day off and bring him to do some fishing. Thinking about targeting coho, for which I have never done before. From reading the posts on this site it seems only Chehalis River has some coho opportunities at this time. I have never been to that river.  So my question is, is it safe to bring a 6-year-old kid there, can I find a place that hike less than 20 minutes safely and possibly catch one coho. Is it worth going at all?

Since the drive takes more than three hours in return, I will search for some opinions before I go. Thanks!

The Stave river still has fresh coho and is safe to bring your son.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 08:12:25 AM »

I have fished the chehalis since I was 5 so I would say you could but that being said the river was a bit different back then. As said previous, stay below the logging bridge as that area gets a bit hard to fish and a bit scary at times. The temptation to fish the Chehalis is strong due to the thought of fresh coho coming in with the rain but I would agree with the others. Hitting the Vedder and/or Stave might be a safer option. Plus, both rivers have decent numbers of chum and a 6 year old could care less what he catches as long as he catches something, so those might be a good option. Also still fresh coho around for you to find in both locations. So in a nutshell, you could go to the Chehalis but there are a few safer options. Good luck :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

azafai

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 09:44:26 AM »

target chum and have a blast day at Stave using a jig under a float.

safe and easy.

CastCatch

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:27:13 PM »

Thanks all of you very much for giving the advice.
I will report back if I go.

CastCatch

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 02:29:11 PM »

By the way, just had a quick check on Stave this afternoon. There are a lot of chums. lots of fishermen too.  Saw only one coho killed at lower part, it is turning red.

Zackattack

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 08:03:28 PM »

ya stave might not be a great place for a kid either. dead rotting fish everywhere and all fish I saw retained today were questionable at best. no coho. was there for 6 hours.
Had a blast there nontheless and was a great way to practice casting/landing fish just not sure for your kid

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 11:52:01 PM »

I wouldn't bring a kid anywhere near any piece of moving water with that much woody debris downstream.  The Chehalis has lots of wood, and the upper has a dangerous canyon.  The Stave will be safer.  You say he's 6 years old, why not try a put and take lake?

SS Fintastic

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »

No kids allowed

mikeyman

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »

Put a life jacket on him, one wrong move and a nice day out with dad could turn into tragedy. Not trying to scare you but better safe than sorry around any type of water. I have brought my nephews to Mill Lake in Abbotsford, they had a blast, threw the life jackets on, took all the worry out of a great day. The Chehalis is moving water, I would probably take a youngster to a lake before the river. Or how about bar fishing the Main stem Fraser, that would be a safer bet and maybe a coho too.

CastCatch

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 04:15:43 PM »

Put a life jacket on him, one wrong move and a nice day out with dad could turn into tragedy. Not trying to scare you but better safe than sorry around any type of water. I have brought my nephews to Mill Lake in Abbotsford, they had a blast, threw the life jackets on, took all the worry out of a great day. The Chehalis is moving water, I would probably take a youngster to a lake before the river. Or how about bar fishing the Main stem Fraser, that would be a safer bet and maybe a coho too.

Thanks, I always put the life jacket on him near the water.
 It is a good thing that I flipped my canoe once, I know what a difference a life jacket makes.

CastCatch

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »

It turned out that my son had a party. So I had the opportunity to explore the rive by myself.
Parked at the camping site, go along the fishing trail, the river was low and the water was very clear. Saw about 10 fishermen along the way, talked to a few. they all said the fishing was slow and we need more rain. Saw one fresh coho caught.

there are a lot of chums in one shallow creek branch, not interested.
Made a few cast along the way, not bite.
it was sunny and the view was very nice. A great day although no catch.