Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Curious about Coho at sundown...?  (Read 3605 times)

odesseus

Curious about Coho at sundown...?
« on: November 05, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »

So a good friend of mine and I were fishing a local stream recently and happened on several excellent pools of Coho; fact is, there were so many fish in the section we could have walked across their backs and not gotten wet. Away we went with some tried and true blue pattern, spoons, wobbles, blue fox, etc; both by float and by cast. After several hours of fishing 4 different holes and literally bouncing lures off the fishes back we came away with two Coho to the beach and one lonely trout. There was certainly some color in the fish and the water was freezing cold; but I've always known Coho to be ridiculously predatory fish...so what gives??? I figured with that many fish in the water we would have had 20-30 fish? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:13:32 PM by odesseus »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Curious about Coho at sundown...?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 04:16:11 PM »

If you can see them...... They can see you..... ;)
The Bigger The Better!

paul1971

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »

That's Coho they getted zipper mouthed. Try Roe go small leader and hook.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:21:44 PM »

Zipper mouthed, lock-jawed, skiddish, etc.  Yep, that's coho.  Was it sunny out too?  Cold water also doesn't help.  Go with what paul1971 suggested.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:28:12 PM »

Coho that's been in a river a while is not much fun as they often become lock-jawed.
Best go with a small, light and stealthy presentation as suggested above.
If roe does not work, use really small artificials on light leader and dead drift.
If that does not work, try first light. ;)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:34:03 PM »

This is why people floss! you can see them, they are not biting, and you get impatient. Finding biting fish can be very frustrating in some of the northern tribs where the water is low and clear. You just have to hope you hit it right on the button and get some fresh fish in the batch because they will quickly clam up and you will be lucky to get a bite or two right at first light. That's just how it is, best keep moving and find untouched fish

odesseus

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »

Thanks for the replies; it was a very puzzling day of fishing. The few that we did catch were not silver at all...really starting to turn by that time.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 05:56:40 PM »

Yesterday the fish were loaded in each pool, about 40-60 in each. The first pool spooked after I hooked a fish on the first cast. While walking about a kilometer to the second pool, I noticed lots of chrome fish moving up river. I switched to a small cleardrift, 2 small split shot, 6 pound leader, #4 hook and small pieces of roe. The sun went into the clouds right when I got to the pool. First 15 casts yielded 4 coho and 3 chum. Once the sun came out the fishing slowed but the fish were still biting ever few dozen casts. I guess it's all timing and presentation. I got there once the tide was coming up and the sun was behind a pile of clouds. You just have to intercept the fresh fish.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:04:44 PM »

I switched to a small cleardrift, 2 small split shot, 6 pound leader, #4 hook and small pieces of roe. 

How long a leader were you using?
I wasn't aware cleardrift made 10g floats. I'll check it out as I have also been using Drennan 11g floats for stealthy presentation. They are super nice but expensive to loose.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:48 PM »

How long a leader were you using?
I wasn't aware cleardrift made 10g floats. I'll check it out as I have also been using Drennan 11g floats for stealthy presentation. They are super nice but expensive to loose.

My bad, Army and Navy did not have any Cleardrifts so I picked up some Drennan's. They are the same thing to me tho, just Cleardrifts are less pricey so I usually buy them. I lengthend up my leader to two feet because of the water and the size of the stream. I usually go with 12-16 inches of leader most of the time. 6 Pound leader seemed enough, I was able to land a 13 pound hatch coho and a few chums.