Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: another brilliant move  (Read 2205 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
another brilliant move
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:51:36 PM »

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20111028/KAMLOOPS0101/111029776/-1/KAMLOOPS/enough-steelhead-running-in-thompson-to-open-sport-fishery

The steelhead fishery was closed by default for the past few years and they opened it when 850 or more spawners were expected. Now they reduced it to 600 spawners as a minimum to open. Really guys? yeah I guess small towns depend on the business but maybe they should enhance habitat or tighten up the drift net regulations to increase the run as little more as they can. Lowering the minimum escapement target makes absolutely no sense...if they are declining maybe they should DO SOMETHING rather than sit there and go "ph let's lower it"

JPW

Re: another brilliant move
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 09:48:39 AM »

I've said it before, but it's worth saying again; how does this change?  It's pretty clear from decisions like this and the recent reopening of the chum that the resource is not being managed in a sustainable way. As much as I can practice C&R and try to educate those around me on the flow those small efforts aren't going to even put a dent in the problem if the people in charge of the resource don't start making better decisions.  I used to be heavily involved in a hatchery program, but now I'm learning even that isn't necessarily the answer. The solution keeps coming back to better management. So as concerned fishermen, how do we make a noticeable difference?