Advanced search  

Author Topic: Occupy  (Read 7690 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Occupy
« on: October 31, 2011, 05:07:13 AM »

What your take on this?
CG

RAFE HERE … as a supporter of the OCCUPY movement I’m constantly told that this is just the usual bunch of whiners and pot heads.

I give no answer myself but let Nanaimo do so.

JOURNAL ENTRY FROM OCCUPY NANAIMO ~ Saturday, October 29th, 2011

We are Occupy Nanaimo.

Here in Diana Krall Plaza Nanaimo, we stand in solidarity with 2,217 cities across the globe asking for change.

A lot of people do not understand why we are here. Why we occupy. Why we protest. We are here to try and make the voice of the people heard. If you are in debt, you have reason to be here. If raising a family is becoming too difficult with the low number of jobs available and low wages, you have reason to be here. If you have ever called the streets your home because in the end of the day there was just nowhere else to go, you have reason to be here.  If you have a grievance with the current world-wide system, you have reason to be here.

We are not just a group of protestors angry at the world. We are not a bunch of jobless hippies. We are many...both working and jobless, people with homes and people without.

Things are not OK. Just look at the injustices of this world. Too long have the people of this world been filled with greed. We watch now as Canada steps ahead of other countries, but not in a positive way. The wealth distribution gap between the rich and the poor grows more and more every year, and in Canada it grows faster than nearly any other nation on the planet.

We are here to be a part of the change in the world.

This is what our democratic system should be like.

So we ask you Citizens of Nanaimo, Citizens of Vancouver Island, Citizens in what should be a truly free country for your support.  Come down to us, lend your voice to change. Set up a tent or just stand and talk. Hold a sign or simply be with us in spirit. We are here to provide an outlet for YOUR change, all of our change. If you have grievances with the world, come and talk to us. If you have grievances with us, come and talk to us. If you just want to know what this is all about, come talk to us. We will change the world, but we need everyone’s support first.

OCCUPY NANAIMO

Link:  http://www.occupynanaimo.ca/

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Occupy
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 09:02:35 AM »

I see this issue as very similar to the Alex Morton/fish farm issue.....

Corporations and in particular financial institutions have been ignoring logic and common sense, taking huge risks and ultimately the public is paying for it with a depressed economy and sub par investment performance. The corporations will continue to do it because they can. Only when the public is made aware of the situation and makes a lot of noise, will government get involved and makes changes to laws and enforcement, in order to control the corporations.

Profits are good, compensation incentives are also good, however when they are at the sole expense of the public, they are obviously damaging.

Occupy may have some legs! While many of their ideas are unrealistic and impractical, they could have an influence on the politicians. As a result to pendulum may eventually swing towards a financial system that not only generates profits but also looks out for societies interests as well.

Can you see the similarity to what Morton is doing?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »

I fail to see what the protest is going to accomplish. It consist of various ad hoc groups wanting their voices heard. The protestors have no agenda or goals. Precisely what does the protestors want their government to do ? Raise higher corporate taxes ? Legislate their business practices ?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »

I just want to know when this will be over. tired of looking at a tent city in front of the vancouver art gallery. when will they realize that government isnt going to tax corporations more and give the money to them? "tax and spend" doesnt work look at the US in the 60s/70s. the problem with any welfare system is that it creates an increasing demand for itself.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:27:07 AM by Rodney »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:38:43 AM »

I just want to know when this will be over. tired of looking at a tent city in front of the vancouver art gallery. when will they realize that government isnt going to tax corporations more and give the money to them? "tax and spend" doesnt work look at the US in the 60s/70s. the problem with any welfare system is that it creates an increasing demand for itself.

I don't really expect a lot from them because as has been said they are generally disorganized, and lack a clear agenda. However this could take on a life of it's own. It's not the corporations that are the problem, it's the individuals running them. These individuals have managed the corporations to the brink of bankruptcy which required taxpayers dollars to save them! Many many folks have had their financial lives affected dramatically as a result of the greed of many corporate executives. I don't believe the occupy agenda is to "tax corporations and give the money to them".

History however has had it's moments where a small group of disorganized individuals have influenced government enough to make them implement changes....  There are many examples, slavery and women's rights being just two ......
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »

doesnt work look at the US in the 60s/70s.

Some of the most precious freedoms and rights that we take for granted today were hatched in social movements in the US and other western countries in the 60s and 70s.

Try and it might work.
Don't try and it certainly won't.

Just like fishing. ;)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »

Try and it might work.
Don't try and it certainly won't.

Just like fishing.

isnt that the truth! I have yet to catch a fish without wetting a line.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »

Why we protest.

We are here to try and make the voice of the people heard.
Thats great, an unquantifiable "goal".  Like the special interest groups that lobby for money to "raise awareness".

If you are in debt, you have reason to be here.
so that would mean 95% of all Canadians who SIGNED A CONTRACT TO TAKE OUT SAID DEBT, the onus is on YOU to pay it back or not take it out in the first place

If raising a family is becoming too difficult
when was raising a family EVER promised to be anything BUT difficult?

with the low number of jobs available
That is straight up crap.  There are TONS of job openings RIGHT NOW, statscan as of October 2011;
Following two months of little change, employment rose by 61,000 in September, all in full time. This increase pushed the unemployment rate down 0.2 percentage points to 7.1%, the lowest rate since December 2008.
In the 12 months to September, employment has grown by 1.7% (+294,000), primarily in Ontario and Alberta. Over this period, full-time employment rose by 2.5% (+344,000), part-time work declined 1.5% (-50,000) and total actual hours worked increased 2.0%.

and low wages,
its not how much you make but how much you spend.  Live in a smaller place, move out of the city, get a room mate(s), eat properly, grow some veggies and make due, we all do

North America provides you the opportunity to have what you need.  And possibly everything you ever wanted.  At the end of the day it is up to YOU to get it.  Not passively expect it.

I went to an inner city highschool in East Van, I didn't graduate (even after staying an extra year) I went to continuing education to finish my high school diploma, worked 40 hours per week while putting myself through Douglas College and racking up student loans.  I moved to Prince George to go to University, I volunteered in student government, racked up more student loans, lived in a crappy house with 5 other people (but rent/hydro was $275/month). I ate the most basic stuff and got through school with a Marketing Management Diploma and then a BComm in Finance.  Whoopty doo, so did many of the thousands of my fellow students.  Doesn't make me special, but at the end of the day, I put in the time, the work, the effort and made the sacrifices to now be able to provide myself and my family with a very comfortable life. 

The only people thatI agree with that need and deserve our help are those with mental health/addiction issues and physical disabilities which prevent them from dedicating their time and effort to support themselves and be productive members of society.

To everyone else, I don't really have the patience.

StillAqua

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »

I don't really expect a lot from them because as has been said they are generally disorganized, and lack a clear agenda. However this could take on a life of it's own. It's not the corporations that are the problem, it's the individuals running them. These individuals have managed the corporations to the brink of bankruptcy which required taxpayers dollars to save them! Many many folks have had their financial lives affected dramatically as a result of the greed of many corporate executives. I don't believe the occupy agenda is to "tax corporations and give the money to them".

History however has had it's moments where a small group of disorganized individuals have influenced government enough to make them implement changes....  There are many examples, slavery and women's rights being just two ......

Couldn't agree more......peaceful protest is a fundamental pillar of democracy and social change.

Headshake

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »

I'm with Damian on this one. All I ever here is complaints that the bank won't give me a loan. Then complaints that they loaned out too much and now some people can't pay it back. Stupid banks should be more understanding. Tax the corporations, but my pension and RRSP should grow faster so I can retire. People forget that these corporations are the same entities that we rely on for retirement, jobs and the goods and services that we have gotten so accustomed to. I want more for less is the mantra of today. Stainless steel applicances, a nice home, ready made meals, a good job and longer vacations. Look at the ridiculous house sizes and prices. All driven by people sending everyone off to work so that they can keep up with the Jones'. And when we get in over our head, we complain that the government should have protected us.

We all need to take more responsibilty. Work harder, give away more and be content to live off less. Stop blaming the faceless government and companies and step up. Start something that creates a better place for all of us, not just you. "Occupy" just exudes another form of selfishness in my opinion. "Everybody help me, because I am finding it too hard to get what I want." :'(
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 04:04:14 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accounting_scandals

These type of things can affect your pension too. Alwaysfishn made a good post about:

"It's not the corporations that are the problem, it's the individuals running them. These individuals have managed the corporations to the brink of bankruptcy which required taxpayers dollars to save them! Many many folks have had their financial lives affected dramatically as a result of the greed of many corporate executives. I don't believe the occupy agenda is to "tax corporations and give the money to them".

I read an article some years back about psychopaths and what they do for a living. We all can pay the price for not recognizing a psycho let loose with lot's of power. These people are your family and friends. Until they screw you over. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »

what scares me is when big business gets into politics and there hidden agendas

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 05:52:27 PM »

You know what scares me?  Carnies. Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.

anorden

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »

I see this issue as very similar to the Alex Morton/fish farm issue.....

Corporations and in particular financial institutions have been ignoring logic and common sense

From what my fisheries research buddies tell me Alex Morton has been ignoring a lot of logic and common sense too. Apparently the vast majority of scientific research into fish farms does not find any CONCLUSIVE evidence of harm to wild stocks. But hey, why let the truth get in the way of a good story??

newb33

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 07:24:14 PM »

My wife's writing her masters paper on Alex Morton and  no logic being ignored Read deeper and do all your research you'll see