Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: handle configuration on a centre pin rod  (Read 6932 times)

paul1971

handle configuration on a centre pin rod
« on: October 28, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »

Having a pin rod built and was wondering what everyones preference is for handle size and style. Thanks.

mr.p

Re: handle configuration on a centre pin rod
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »

Doesn't really matter what anyone else prefers.  You'll be using the rod, get it built as you please.
You'll find the standard configuration is a long front section / reel seat/ shorter rear section.  For example, 14" front cork, 4-5" reel seat, 5" rear cork.

When getting rods built or modified I found it very helpful to search for pics of what I'd like my rod to look like.  It also helps if you can physically hold some rods and see what feels best for you.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

c-pin

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 07:46:14 AM »

Doesn't really matter what anyone else prefers.  You'll be using the rod, get it built as you please.
You'll find the standard configuration is a long front section / reel seat/ shorter rear section.  For example, 14" front cork, 4-5" reel seat, 5" rear cork.

When getting rods built or modified I found it very helpful to search for pics of what I'd like my rod to look like.  It also helps if you can physically hold some rods and see what feels best for you.

I agree. With CP rods, it took me a couple of years to get down my personal preference. Try out a few handle configurations, and see what works for you. I prefer a shorter (4.5 - 5 inch butt section), but some guys prefer a longer butt section. Once the rod is built, it is sometimes difficult (or impossible) to get it re-built to your preference, if you don't get it built right in the first place.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:21 PM »

I personally like having the butt end of the rod at my elbow while my hand is directly above the reel. This set-up is fairly non-conventional, but I find it allows me to play fish without having to put two hands on the rod as my elbow can add pressure at the butt.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »

I like this too, you have more leverage, good when you are playing a fish with one arm and using the other to climb over or around some kind of obstacle etc at the same time.
I personally like having the butt end of the rod at my elbow while my hand is directly above the reel. This set-up is fairly non-conventional, but I find it allows me to play fish without having to put two hands on the rod as my elbow can add pressure at the butt.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »

I also prefered a longer but section 8 or so inches and a 12 fore, but ( no pun) you have a chance to get the exact fit for you. I have a buddy that likes his waay forward with only a 6inch fore. It's up to you.   
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Valley Custom Rods

• Valley Custom Rods
  • Valley Custom Rods
    • Valley Custom Rods
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 10:01:53 PM »

Hi Paul1971,
The great thing about having a custom handle is having it built the way it fits you and your style best. I have customers do lower handles from a short 4" all the way up to 11". As a rule 5" to 8" being used the most.  I have several pin rod handles in the shop in different configurations and you are more than welcome to stop in and I can help you find the perfect fit. I hope this helps and please contact me anytime.
Regards,
Mark.  <"))),.><