Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Redl Titan centre pin rods  (Read 11276 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Redl Titan centre pin rods
« on: October 27, 2011, 10:35:23 PM »

Anyone used the Titan centre pin rod made by Redl Sports?
I am looking to get a centre pin rod for steelheading and this looked similar in spec to Sage 2106.
Any feedbacks would be appreciated.

jon5hill

Re: Redl Titan centre pin rods
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 01:37:31 AM »

I have this exact rod and it is really nice. I was able to turn some big coho this year in fairly hard current and also slow water with it, the 2106 is very suitable for rivers as big as the Chilliwack, but for larger systems the 3113 is probably a better bet. I was able to land several springs on the 2106 this year.The action on the rod is extremely similar to the sage 2106. I also like the 10 foot model (it's not a titan but it's a redl centerpin stick), it is ideal for fishing systems with smaller steelhead.. certainly not springs though.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 07:10:02 AM »

Anyone used the Titan centre pin rod made by Redl Sports?
I am looking to get a centre pin rod for steelheading and this looked similar in spec to Sage 2106.
Any feedbacks would be appreciated.

Great rod. It was designed by Brian Babcock and that is why it is si similar to the sage.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

mr.p

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »

Look like nice rods.  Very nice detailing on the thread wrapping and guide inserts.  The only negative I can see is the downlocking reel seats
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »

I had the 3113 Titan, and it exploded with a smallish chum on in little to no current. I guess it was tired of being a 2 piece rod and wanted to be a 4 piece. Took it back and got a 3106 (a little shorter). Found out i wasn't the only one and they were having problems with the 3113 blanks. Bad batch maybe? Anyway, i was happy with the 3113 until it exploded, and I'm just as happy with the 3106.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 10:54:58 AM »

i was in the market to get a new pin rod... had many options. first i was gonna buy the thropy XL royale it had the up locking reel seat. but read online..  http://www.ramblingfisherman.com/2011/01/torphy-xl-royale-rod-temple-fork-outfitters-3113-centerpin-rod-and-an-okuma-aventa-vt1002-reviews/
 couldn't find the TFO CP-3113, thought about the titan series.... went to pacific angler and held a loomis, i am still saving....
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 11:09:22 AM »

The only negative I can see is the downlocking reel seats

I also prefer the feel of cork touching my hands, especially in winter.
Not quite sure why they made it so when most centre pins have uplocking reel seats.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »

i was in the market to get a new pin rod... had many options. first i was gonna buy the thropy XL royale it had the up locking reel seat. but read online..  http://www.ramblingfisherman.com/2011/01/torphy-xl-royale-rod-temple-fork-outfitters-3113-centerpin-rod-and-an-okuma-aventa-vt1002-reviews/
 couldn't find the TFO CP-3113, thought about the titan series.... went to pacific angler and held a loomis, i am still saving....

read the link, i have the complete opposite take. found it extremely durable, nice action, and big springs on vedder are no problem. had it two years, and fish it pretty hard.

prairiefire

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 12:25:59 PM »

They look like nice rods. I love knock offs!!!. Helps us guys with limited funds get out fishing. I'm using a different but affordable rod. Amundson CM2116M+. It's on its third year and I've had no issues with it. Handled lots of big springs and chum on it loaded up with 15 lb Maxima. Nice thing is warranty work is close by. Wait time is minimal unlike other rods. I am looking at a Trophy Coho King rod for chucking spoons and spinners though.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »

I also prefer the feel of cork touching my hands, especially in winter.
Not quite sure why they made it so when most centre pins have uplocking reel seats.

its because they are mooching rods, I would have a really hard time spending $300 on a down locking reel seat. Just spend $80 on a Shimano Convergence mooching rod until you can afford a proper pin rod.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 08:35:01 AM »

Might be a silly question but what's wrong with "down locking" reel seats? (i assume you're referring to the threaded rings that secure the reel from the distal end of the rod)

c-pin

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »

Might be a silly question but what's wrong with "down locking" reel seats? (i assume you're referring to the threaded rings that secure the reel from the distal end of the rod)

You are right ...... all my CP rods have "up-locking" reels seats. This is because when you are fishing, the cork ends and the reel can be felt. If you have a "down-locking" reel seat, the cork will end and there will be the reel seat threads, then the reel. It is a big comfort factor if you are fishing all day, or fishing larger species (and you are putting lots of pressure on the rod), or in my case (because I have metal Struble reel seats), it can get cold on your hands.

Some people just plain don't care about the reel seats, it's just not important to them.

I wonder if these rods will come with "up-locking" reel seats in the future ?? If they do, I will be picking one up. Maybe someone with some influence could talk to Redl, and advise them on this issue.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 09:57:52 AM »

Just spend $80 on a Shimano Convergence mooching rod until you can afford a proper pin rod.

I would love to buy a Sage 3106L (green blank) if they are still selling them as I am currently using CT 2106 and it is by far the best rod I have ever used for coho/steelhead fishing in terms of ease of handling fish. I am not really into used rod unless it is mint condition. So, what would be a proper rod? Money is no issue for me. :)

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »

If you've got the money get something custom made!

Brian Babcock

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »

Hi all. I just wanted to clear up a few things regarding our new "Titan" series rods. First, we admit that there was potentially a problem with the TTCP3113 as well as the TTSA3113 (same blank). As soon as this was identified, our dealers were instructed to return their stock to us and offer a "no questions asked" return policy to their customers who may have purchased one. Having said this, we are still running into customers who love the rod, have had no issues, and choose to keep fishing it. That's OK too - we'll still cover any breakage. We are eager to have this model back in our line-up and will continue to test and retest until we get it right.

To be clear, this is the only model that we are experiencing any issues with. All others have had normal or below normal warranty claims.

As for reel seat direction, let me start out by saying that centerpin rods for the BC market are the most difficult to design from a configuration standpoint by far. I have custom built literally 1000's of rods for local anglers as well as been on the design team of two different manufacturers. Deciding on grip length, shape, uplocking vs downlocking, butt box,.......on and on is almost an impossible task if you're attempting to please everyone. When I look at my own history of custom built rods, I find that approx 60% of centerpins I made had a downlocking seat. I attribute this to "new school" vs "old school" methods of fishing a pin. In other words, do you cup the spool with your top hand or do you finger the spool with your bottom hand? Most "new school" pin users would probably also prefer a bit longer rear grip. Many "old school" guys like an even shorter rear grip. You're probably starting to get the idea! Who knows? Maybe down the road we'll offer one of each.

I hope this clears some of the confusion up. Thanks for taking an interest in our new "Titans". I welcome any further feedback.

Sincerely,
Brian Babcock