Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oxbow Lake in River Springs, Coquitlam - Any fish in there?  (Read 6371 times)

Sam6140

Oxbow Lake in River Springs, Coquitlam - Any fish in there?
« on: October 25, 2011, 03:25:08 PM »

Hey guys,

I live real close to that little lake in Coquitlam, and I was wondering if there's any fish in there and what types?  It's next to the Coquitlam River.  Has anyone tried fishing it?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:21:43 PM by Sam6140 »

Knife

Re: Oxbow Lake in River Springs, Port Coquitlam - Any fish in there?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 10:05:22 PM »

My sons fished it years ago with a clear float, a leader and a blood worm fly while I kept them from falling in. The cutthroat were small, but they did release a few.

Sam6140

Re: Oxbow Lake in River Springs, Port Coquitlam - Any fish in there?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:19:47 PM »

Thanks, Knife.   What do you mean "they did released a few"?  It's not clear to me.

Shmoke Shaman

Re: Oxbow Lake in River Springs, Coquitlam - Any fish in there?
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »

Cutthroat? crazy, didnt know there were cutthroat in there.

Sam if your looking to fish in little lakes around coquitlam I think they released 3000+ rb at larfarge this month

Sam6140

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 02:14:21 PM »

Thanks Shmoke Shaman....I know about Lafarge...it's just down the street walking distance from my house.  I just hate fishing at that lake.   Stocked Rainbows are boring to catch, and fight like a wet rag.  And I find them rather finicky about biting compared to wild fish.

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 09:01:34 PM »

haha ya that's tottally true. Well if you end up fishing at oxbow lake, let me know how it goes.

Sam6140

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 10:33:57 PM »

Will do.  But please remember to only catch and release in a weak small system like Oxbow Lake.   I was ALMOST tempted to try Lafarge today, as I read about more stockings recently done, as well as your mentioning of it.  But seeing the crowds fishing there, and how there's way too many people walking around that lake, and watching you as you fish, the temptation went away. lol.  There's just no peace and tranquility fishing there at all.  It's worse than Como Lake for sure.   

If you live in the area, and would like to try fishing for bass, definitely go give the marsh @ Minnekhada park a go.  It's pretty good!