Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coho's roe  (Read 7204 times)

bunnta

coho's roe
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »

are these roe's any good? i procured them twice and used them twice on my outing and coho's do not seem to like them compare to pinks or chum roes. Wondering if there is any other uses for them

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: coho's roe
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »

Coho roe is among if not IS the best for catching coho hands down. Honestly any roe works, I caught over 15 fish today and I was using sockeye roe (small size eggs and falls apart easily) which wasn't my best cure job but it worked great. Just knowing where and how to use it is key

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »

Just knowing where and how to use it is key

LOL! Not much science to using bait.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »

Thats all I use as all I keep is coho. Catch a coho, use the roe to catch another. Its a never ending cycle ;D ok, aside from the odd steelhead I suppose ;D
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Fishinglover

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:11:08 PM »

is this the secret weapon to catch coho in an effective way?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »

No secret, kid. No secret.
The secret is where to find them. Once you locate them, catching them with roe is easy, as they are roe pigs, just like their cousins, the steelhead.  ;D

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:15:52 PM »

Its not a secret, trust me. Just have to be in the right spot at the right time. Also fishing a lot helps too ;D
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Fishinglover

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 10:30:54 PM »

agreed... unfortunately had to work during the weekdays, and take care of kids at weekends, very few chances for fishing, so eager to find out the most effective way for productive fishing... frankly so far never getting my limits yet for all trips to vedder, even every time round trip on road is about 3 hours plus 5 - 6 hours fishing... this year more than 15 trips, already paid more than $600 gasoline on the road... fishing is becoming more expensive now...

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »

even every time round trip on road is about 3 hours plus 5 - 6 hours fishing... this year more than 15 trips, already paid more than $600 gasoline on the road... fishing is becoming more expensive now...

The only way to make fishing profitable is to find another three people and take a 2-day guided trip chartered from Ucluelet or such.
By limiting out on salmon and halibut you can pretty much cover the expenses. Of course, that's assuming you have a chest freezer at home.

As far as our local fishing goes, you are better off buying your fish and then go fishing for sheer pleasure - without the pressure, so catching a fish becomes just a bonus.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 11:11:04 PM »

agreed... unfortunately had to work during the weekdays, and take care of kids at weekends, very few chances for fishing, so eager to find out the most effective way for productive fishing... frankly so far never getting my limits yet for all trips to vedder, even every time round trip on road is about 3 hours plus 5 - 6 hours fishing... this year more than 15 trips, already paid more than $600 gasoline on the road... fishing is becoming more expensive now...

And unfortunetly this statement is what is wrong with the new generation of fishers today. Seems all they want is their limit every time they go out. They need to learn the true pleasure of fishing. Like the saying goes, A bad day of fishing is still better then the greatest day at work.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 04:53:04 AM »

It's called fishing not catching. It's sport fishing, it's a recreational activity. Its much cheaper to go to the store and buy fish than to buy gear and drive out to the valley several times a week...if you're fishing for just the meat then that's something to consider.
You can't expect to catch your limit every outting, lots of people get skunked whenthey head out, some release everything they catch, it's a sport and a fun relaxing way to spend your day.
If I was fishing just for the meat I would have stopped a long time ago and gone to the store, I spend all that money on gas and gear so I can enjoy being on the flow and being outside.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 06:55:47 AM »

The limit is way too high anyways, I consider any outing a big success if I am lucky enough to be able to bring A fish home.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 11:13:44 AM »

The limit is way too high anyways, I consider any outing a big success if I am lucky enough to be able to bring A fish home.

Agreed. it should be 2 coho per day, 2 for the ag limit as well

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 02:30:08 PM »

Agreed. it should be 2 coho per day, 2 for the ag limit as well

x3

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »

frankly so far never getting my limits yet for all trips to vedder

Don't worry, you are not the only one not getting your limit. :)
I have been up to the Vedder half a dozen times this season for coho fishing and never managed to limit out.
If I tried harder, could I have? Very possibly yes.
But if you think about it, with cohos averaging 6~7 pounds each, four fish is a lot of meat.
Does an average fisherman really need that much fish for personal consumption?
I guess, it depends on individual circumstances, but it still is a lot of fish.
So enjoy fishing, as you get better at it, you will eventually run out of place to put all the fish you catch.
You will end up releasing more and more of your retainable fish and daily limit would not mean much any more.
Tight lines!