Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-tidal Fraser River, October 19th 2011  (Read 764 times)

Knife

Non-tidal Fraser River, October 19th 2011
« on: October 19, 2011, 06:25:08 PM »

Decided to drive out to a spot I like to try for coho when the vedder etc. are crowded. The wife came along with her camera and a good book . Wave after wave of Canada geese flying over. Usually if I don't get a hit in the first few minutes there are no coho around. After 20 min. I snagged bottom and had to move up the beach to try and get it free as it was my only #4 blue fox. Lucky I got it free because we could see the coho surfacing downstream heading our way. Next cast fish on. Lost the first 2 fish after some great jumps and runs, but did manage to land 2 around  7 lbs. All the fish were hooked within 10 to 20 ft. from shore, and the action was all over in an hour as the fish moved on. Would have liked to use the fly rod, but trees and brush have overgrown the bank in past years compared to when I found the spot 25 years ago. Not another sole around while we were there. Might try again tomorrow, once the rain comes and the river levels are up in the Vedder and Chehalis the coho don't seem to hang around this area any more.

Dr. Backlash

Re: Non-tidal Fraser River, October 19th 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »

Nice report.  Sure can't beat knowing about a great spot to catch fish that not many others know about - really, you can't beat it!  Congrats