Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoons with a baitcasting reel  (Read 12339 times)

clujalolo

Spoons with a baitcasting reel
« on: October 18, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »

Hey guys quick question for what works.

I went today to the tidal fraser and tried bottom fishing with shrimp. Had no luck. Then i threw on a spoon, pretty big so it wasnt to hard to cast with the baitcasting reel.  First cast got me my very first coho ever. It was a hatchery and turning red so i released it.  Now i decided to change with a different spoon, this spoon was much littler i couldnt cast it out more then 5 ft which then would result in a birds nest. Would it effect anything if i but some weight on the line. So have my weight and a swivel with a 3ft leader or so?

Im to cheap to go buy a spinning rod and reel l

river walker

Re: Spoons with a baitcasting reel
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 06:34:48 PM »

Add a splitshot 6-8 inches above the spoon
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

clujalolo

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »

Ooh ok yeh thats what i was thinking. The splitshot is those weights that go on the line and u just crimp in on? Sorry still learning all the names for everything l

river walker

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 07:19:08 PM »

Yeah, like a marble with a crack
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »

Just wondering if you remembered to readjust your braking for the weight of the lure. If not that's why you were not able to cast your lure properly.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »

you can add weight but it increases your chance of dragging the whole thing on the bottom and snagging up.
you can get  away with a really cheap spinning outfit, one I used for pinks this year was 6 bucks at a garage sale, new line and all.
you will likely need a larger spoon if you are casting with a big drift set up but hey it worked once so dont sweat it, add a few split shots and see what works for you untill you decide a spinning set up is in the budget.
and when casting, get a good backswing, have your spool tension on slightly and keep your thumb on the spool to prevent overspooling
this may take practice and patience, it did me lol

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 07:55:48 PM »

Spinning rod is probably the best option for casting, but I find them annoying to play fish on (personal preference).  Ideally, find a light, 9' casting rod and a small levelwind (Abu 4600 C4,  Abu Record RCN50, any small low-profile levelwind) and use that to throw spoons.  A 6500C3 doesn't cast a spoon very far.

If you're not in a position to buy a new set up, add some lead weight in the form of pencil lead 2-4 feet up the line.  The smaller the distance between the weight and the lure, the better, but some fish may be put off by the weight.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »

I find adding weight hinders the action of the spoons. If you want to cast small spoons get yourself a spinning rod.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:53 PM »

Small low profile baitcasters, like Shimano Curado 200, are better suited to throw spoons than the larger conventional baitcasters.
For using small spoons in the 1/8~3/16 oz range, spinning reel is the way to go as most baitcasters do not handle them well.
Fishing for cohos sometimes require use of small spoons so I normally use spinning reel instead of baitcasters when I target them.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:58 PM »

1/4oz egg weight bead then a good swivel.  Tie the leader line to swivel using perfection knot then tie the small spoon to the leader.  Leader length the longer the slower the spoon moves the shorter the faster it vibrates.

Grey Fox

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 01:00:11 AM »

I went today to the tidal fraser and tried bottom fishing with shrimp. Had no luck. Then i threw on a spoon, pretty big so it wasnt to hard to cast with the baitcasting reel.  First cast got me my very first coho ever. It was a hatchery and turning red so i released it.  Now i decided to change with a different spoon, this spoon was much littler i couldnt cast it out more then 5 ft which then would result in a birds nest. Would it effect anything if i but some weight on the line. So have my weight and a swivel with a 3ft leader or so?

If you decide to use a spinning reel set up (also known in some parts as a fixed spool reel)  make sure you load the new line until it lays almost level with the rim of the spool...... then you will find you'll be able to cast way farther with lighter terminal tackle  :)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 01:27:58 AM »

Daiwa shock rod and reel $20 @ Army Navy  ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 03:22:34 AM »

Your paying $1.30 a litre for gas to get where your going.
Whats a few bucks for a cheap spinning set-up?

Sometimes being cheap doesnt add up.

clujalolo

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 06:57:09 AM »

Thanks everyone for the tips will try it out.

I actually did not know spinning reels were that cheap, i nvr actually looked. Ill take a look theres an army navy really close to my place.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »

Daiwa shock rod and reel $20 @ Army Navy  ;D

That's the one that I purchased when I started! It worked well for me!
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."