Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon  (Read 244372 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Lethal virus from European salmon found in wild BC salmon
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2011, 07:11:57 PM »

The evidence keeps mounting and mounting but some people still believe fish farms are doing no harm to our wild fish stocks. :o ???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 07:12:55 PM »

Here is her blog post http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/ I wouldn't have a problem with her if she didn't exaggerate so much I don't see any science backing up the title.
Same as above. :-X

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 07:44:21 PM »

Here is her blog post http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/ I wouldn't have a problem with her if she didn't exaggerate so much I don't see any science backing up the title.

This battle cannot be fought on science alone. When the folks that have all the resources and are the ones causing the damage, the only way to bring them in line is by getting the public on side. Morton has got this figured out and that's why she is so hated by the industry and seemingly ignored or muffled by government.

Her title is no different than what a newspaper would write. We need her kind to publicize these issues......   so that government is forced to put resources on this issue so that we can know the truth. Right now we don't know the truth and it makes it easy to believe that there is a cover up going on. 
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 08:09:22 PM »

This battle cannot be fought on science alone. When the folks that have all the resources and are the ones causing the damage, the only way to bring them in line is by getting the public on side. Morton has got this figured out and that's why she is so hated by the industry and seemingly ignored or muffled by government.

Her title is no different than what a newspaper would write. We need her kind to publicize these issues......   so that government is forced to put resources on this issue so that we can know the truth. Right now we don't know the truth and it makes it easy to believe that there is a cover up going on. 
Yep, so true.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »

The evidence keeps mounting and mounting but some people still believe fish farms are doing no harm to our wild fish stocks. :o ???

That's just it, we know it does harm, yet most of the general public choose to ignore the consequences. It would seem some even just see this as an anti business battle.
Unfortunately there seems to be the yapping dog attitude developing for Ms Morten and assoc. something they need to get a handle on. We need to find away to confirm this disease in a public and irrefutable forum, where motive is irrelevant, if it's here? make a plan and move on.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:47:43 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »

Did I say that I thought fish farms weren't harming wild stocks? I just think that her style of presentation turns a lot of potential supporters off.
Same as above. :-X

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »

Did I say that I thought fish farms weren't harming wild stocks? I just think that her style of presentation turns a lot of potential supporters off.

What you seem to be suggesting is that Ms Morton should use a knife in the gun fight.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »

No that's not what I'm saying at all. I just think that if you come across as too hysterical a lot of potential supporters will tune out.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2011, 10:01:27 PM »

No that's not what I'm saying at all. I just think that if you come across as too hysterical a lot of potential supporters will tune out.

It's actually tuned a lot of us in!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2011, 10:03:56 PM »

WOW....

So a coho showed SIGNS of carrying the disease? As far as I see there was NO actual diagnosis.
O my gosh, what ever will we do... lesions, petechiae, exophthalmia all symptoms of ISA and around 20 other virus and bacteria including IHN.

Also, even if the virus was present, that doesn't mean it killed the fish. The fish was about to spawn, with a depressed immune system and hundreds of other possible pathogens in the water. For a proper diagnosis she would have had to send the whole fish, not just a sliver of heart and kidneys. Sounds pretty fishy to me.

You CANNOT make a diagnosis based on visible symptoms alone. You need to also culture it (make sure the virus/bacteria is active) and do some other test such as genetic testing.

They probably never got back to her because there was nothing there. So now as soon as anyone sees lesions or some other abnormalities in normal dying fish (o, did I mention that their immune systems shut down once in freshwater, meaning that they could have been carrying something without ill effect all their life until after spawning) they are going to assume ISA because of the media driven paranoia based on nothing, no true scientific facts, just symptoms of what could be multiple diseases.

O and alwaysfishin', that one report you posted from bcsalmonfacts is part of an interview. They just took the part that best fit their prerogative.

I also love how she tries to make the tiny little salmon seem so cute and innocent. I'll give her one thing, she is definitely a good creative writer.

Cheers,
Dan

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2011, 10:18:26 PM »

WOW....

So a coho showed SIGNS of carrying the disease? As far as I see there was NO actual diagnosis.
O my gosh, what ever will we do... lesions, petechiae, exophthalmia all symptoms of ISA and around 20 other virus and bacteria including IHN.

Also, even if the virus was present, that doesn't mean it killed the fish. The fish was about to spawn, with a depressed immune system and hundreds of other possible pathogens in the water. For a proper diagnosis she would have had to send the whole fish, not just a sliver of heart and kidneys. Sounds pretty fishy to me.

You CANNOT make a diagnosis based on visible symptoms alone. You need to also culture it (make sure the virus/bacteria is active) and do some other test such as genetic testing.

They probably never got back to her because there was nothing there. So now as soon as anyone sees lesions or some other abnormalities in normal dying fish (o, did I mention that their immune systems shut down once in freshwater, meaning that they could have been carrying something without ill effect all their life until after spawning) they are going to assume ISA because of the media driven paranoia based on nothing, no true scientific facts, just symptoms of what could be multiple diseases.

O and alwaysfishin', that one report you posted from bcsalmonfacts is part of an interview. They just took the part that best fit their prerogative.

I also love how she tries to make the tiny little salmon seem so cute and innocent. I'll give her one thing, she is definitely a good creative writer.

Cheers,
Dan

A great example of someone putting their head in the sand and suggesting that because they can't see anything, there is absolutely no problem.... 

At least most of us that support Morton do so because we believe she will help motivate government to get to the bottom of this and then fix it. You have obviously drawn the conclusion that the problems are imaginary and that you'd just like to see Morton go away.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2011, 10:27:53 PM »

A great example of someone putting their head in the sand and suggesting that because they can't see anything, there is absolutely no problem.... 

At least most of us that support Morton do so because we believe she will help motivate government to get to the bottom of this and then fix it. You have obviously drawn the conclusion that the problems are imaginary and that you'd just like to see Morton go away.

So that's all you can come up with? That I'v stuck my head in the sand? Just because I looked at what was actually written, and was able to come up with some other explanation different to yours based on education and not just opinion. Would you like to explain this to me? How you are so sure I am wrong, along with the scientists that apparently disagree with Morton? What makes you believe (scientifically and in what is written) that she is right that it was ISA without any information released?

The problems are imaginary as I see it. I have seen no proof. All I have seen is some undone scientific work that was blown out of proportion by Morton and her associates, and the scientists that she got her results from saying that she mis-interpreted the results.

If anyone, you are the one that has their head stuck in the sand, for following blindly without actually looking at both sides of the story, having done no looking through scientific facts. Maybe do some research on Virus' present naturally in BC and bacteria alike and see how many symptoms match ISA. As said, without a test and results testing positive, with positive growth you cannot claim ISA infection.

I guess I'm done arguing here. You can never change someone's opinion when it's made up as much as yours. In fact I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm just trying to get you to look at scientific research instead of a blog and reading everything in that blog as true.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2011, 08:17:37 AM »

Try reading what I actually wrote.... "At least most of us that support Morton do so because we believe she will help motivate government to get to the bottom of this and then fix it."

I have never said that I thought everything in her blog is true, nor have I questioned anyone's scientific research. However while we are critiquing each others motives and actions...  I would suggest that it seems since you have obtained a little education, you have in your own mind become an expert, who is not open to the possibility that someone else, looking at things from a different perspective could also know what they are talking about. Because of your attitude, folks like you are putting our whole west coast salmon at risk, putting all sorts of road blocks in place to try and prove the point that you are smarter than people like Morton.

I want to see more transparency in the investigations. While the truth may be what you suggest, I am not willing to accept your opinion just because you happen to know a little more about the science than I do. Where there is smoke there is usually fire.... and right now Morton and many of us see a lot of smoke!

StillAqua

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2011, 02:55:11 PM »

I'm no fish farm lover but I don't like being manipulated, and that's what Alex Morton's Fraser coho story obviously is if you read through it all carefully....it's just a story that the NY Times got from her (and it's her diagnosis). There is no ISA virus detected in Fraser coho. That's the only problem I have with her activist approach......exaggeration and conclusion jumping to gets headlines turns supporters off.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »

I'm no fish farm lover but I don't like being manipulated, and that's what Alex Morton's Fraser coho story obviously is if you read through it all carefully....it's just a story that the NY Times got from her (and it's her diagnosis). There is no ISA virus detected in Fraser coho. That's the only problem I have with her activist approach......exaggeration and conclusion jumping to gets headlines turns supporters off.
If there is not people like Alex trying to get too the bottom of this who is going to? Certainly not two levels of government or FOC who in my mind just try to cover up and hide the facts as well as put gag orders on some bureaucrats. I donot think that can be disputed.