Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing ethics  (Read 3220 times)

mikeyman

fishing ethics
« on: October 08, 2011, 02:54:42 AM »

Evey year the river gets worst and worst. When is something going to be done. I was observing the show in the canal the other day, and maybe 2 out of 50 people were actually fishing correctly. Long floating, long leader and setting the hook on every cast is the common method. This is due to the Fraser River flossing, and I think most have been introduced to fishing this way. If dfo doesn't step in and regulate it somehow it is only going continue to get worst. Maybe make people go thru a course when buying a liscence? Well the 2 above suggestions will never happen. I offered some information to 2 anglers who observed me catching regularly short floating roe the other day, and they said they would give the method a try. Well 2 people changing over, maybe it will catch on over time, if all experienced anglers try to show  one person. Or how about we just set up a booth down on the busy spots and put on a bit of a free clinic. I know it will never change because some are ignorant, but to those who want to learn, I say teach them.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: fishing ethics
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 11:56:24 PM »

I actually like your booth idea. so many guys are snagging fish simply because that is what they were taught and has caught them sockeye on the fraser. if you have a "free fishing advice" booth where you help people out and show them how to set their float depth, knot tying and gear presentations, people might respect what they are being shown and try it out, out of respect to the guys who took the time to show them.

on the flipside, others wont give a crap.

jobber604

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »

Well going through a test when obtaining your fishing license is a good idea. Whether DFO or BC gov't decides upon it is another story. If they implemented the boating exam, hey, why not a fishing exam. I'm new to salmon fishing, and I was taught bottom bouncing first from others. However, personally, I didn't feel I had the same satisfaction using this type of fishing technique; so I began researching and looking at other techniques to catch salmon. I don't think every fisher out there would take the time to learn to properly fish. I think they're only in it for the catch. I wish there was a list of simple fishing ethics posted as a sticky on this forum or when you obtain your fishing license. I don't like being in the fishing crowds; so I learnt to find and pick my own spots...just gotta watch out for the tire vandals ;)

As a newbie, I totally agree with the things you seasoned vets are saying. It's not fishing, it's catching and harvesting in there. Like herding cattle....no fun in that. it's like sniping versus using a machine gun.

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 01:53:49 AM »

i like the booth idea too, and the way its going, i like the test idea also.....holmes*

Oilcruzer

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:28:45 AM »

I like this.  Long time lake fisherman, but this is my first year fishing each of the Fraser and The Vedder.  Lots and lots of research, and everything from new gear, lines tying techniques, and proper fishing. 

There's a lot of crossover however, and even a salmon newcomer knows that one technique of grip and rip isn't fishing.  Think of a used car salesman I say.  Fishing isn't about hooking them into a forced sale, it's convincing them to bite.

Here's what I have learned so far...

The bouncing technique during sockeye harvest can be done so that the fish takes the lure.  95 % of my fish this year were aggressive fish snapping at a floating lure.  How do I know this?  It was a strike, in (not outside) the mouth, and the pinks, during the last part of the sockeye run, were all picked up on a slow retrieve. 

Others don't care or don't get it.  Leading by example helps.  Removing the hook on fouled fish in the water is an example.  Wetting hands and carefully introducing the head of the exhausted fish to the water at a 30 degree angle, and respecting the fish with great care, is another.

If I foul a fish, I know that most times this was my fault.  I let people around know that I have to be more careful, and that " I hope I didn't hurt that fish."

Telling people what they do wrong is one thing.  Coaching people by showing how to do it right is satisfying for everyone.

Now... Back to ethics... As this is new territory...

When you see a fish gasping its last breaths in the rocks, on it's side after spawning... Do you leave it to slowly die, hoping an animal takes the live kill, or do you bonk it to put it out of it's misery?

mikeyman

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 02:24:32 PM »

Well after 3 days of solid coho action, it had been fantastic! I hope I have changed over at least 5 people who I took the time to show how I was fishing, and then they changed over and caught fish, they were very happy, I even gave them some roe. It is pretty cool showing them the ropes, then after only a couple of drifts seeing thier float go down, and landing dime bright coho, awsome, I hope more people start doing the same. I guess people really start paying attention and listen when they see you catch 10 coho to all others one. Well I can only do so much as one person, but if everybody keeps the same attitude, things may improve.

jobber604

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 04:20:02 PM »

You're a good guy in my books mikeyman. Way to coach and lead. You're really paying forward with what you've done. Those 5 will certainly coach another 5 people the proper way to fish. So you thin you've only helped 5, I'd say you've in theory have invested your time coached hundreds down the road if these fellows share your fishing wisdom. Too bad not fisher out there has the patience to coach and teach...don't b@tch and comain about other people's techniques if you're not willing and are stubborn to share the proper ethics.

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 10:31:50 PM »

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC MIKEY, youre a good man...cheers..... ;D 8) 8) ....holmes*

Oilcruzer

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 07:07:00 AM »

Well after 3 days of solid coho action, it had been fantastic! I hope I have changed over at least 5 people who I took the time to show how I was fishing, and then they changed over and caught fish, they were very happy, I even gave them some roe. It is pretty cool showing them the ropes, then after only a couple of drifts seeing thier float go down, and landing dime bright coho, awsome, I hope more people start doing the same. I guess people really start paying attention and listen when they see you catch 10 coho to all others one. Well I can only do so much as one person, but if everybody keeps the same attitude, things may improve.

Nice.  Exactly what should happen.  Its funny cuz really, all everyone wants to do is catch fish, and it's even more satisfying helping and watching others learn and succeed.  You know they will be telling their friends.... Etc.