Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It Pays To Stop For A Beer Tin  (Read 5967 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
It Pays To Stop For A Beer Tin
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »

If you remember I found 2 twenty dollar bills a few weeks ago, one when I stopped to pick up a 10 cent beer tin and the other when stopped to pick up a tarp that had blown off a vehicle on the Coq.

Another trip to Gold Country to take advantage of the last day of chinook jacks on the Thomson was the driving force but it was poor fishing only getting one but not much effort was put into it as I had corn to sell, moved all for a nice profit too.

Last night I camped high in the mountains, very cool and the only visitor was coyote that kept coming to have a closer look at the intruder.

It was a lovely night, the sky so clear, the stars so bright with the only sound was the drone of a jet making me realize I was near civilization at all.

The night passed quickly and the coffee was perking as I need that to perk me up before I start hunting in some territory I had not hunted before.

With the coffee at my side I began exploring the roads, miles of them, I hear  from one of my corn buyers they had picked up a bull moose a couple of days ago in this area. The swamps along the route looked like prime moose habitat but saw nothing.

I did not see even a grouse or a deer but it looked inviting for both.

It was almost time to stop and make breakfast and I looked for a nice sot to stop. There is lots of beer tins on this side roads and I pick up many, helps pay for the gas.

Before I find my breakfast stopping spot I see 2 tins on the side of the gravel logging road, I pull over and just as I do I hear the sound of the wings of a grouse taking off, I spot it briefly, not knowing if it landed or not.

I grab my scattergun and start to walking to where I thought I might have landed. As I get near the grouse takes off and heads downhill at a rapid flight through the willows, I get a brief chance an the gun barks and to my surprise it tumbles in a blur of feathers, I cannot believe it. Again I get one that I thought I had no chance of, like a couple of weeks ago.

I am pleased with my seventh grouse of the season. I pick up the beer tins too.

I then have breakfast, pleased I was not blanked on this outing.  A little while latter, after breakfast I come around a corner a 3 blues are strutting in front of me.

The first one falls on a easy shot and the second on a more difficult one as it flies through the dense willows. 3 for 3 not bad if I can say so..

Now if I can get a deer tomorrow the trip will be complete, Oh I need to get a trout or two in some lake.

Hard to beat being in Gold Country.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Re: It Pays To Stop For A Beer Tin
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:56:34 PM »

Nice shooting, Chris!  You must have pretty sharp eyes for a guy that is old enough to play in the Senior's Games!  ;)

Congrats on the successful trip.
:D
Tex

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »

Nice shooting, Chris!  You must have pretty sharp eyes for a guy that is old enough to play in the Senior's Games!  ;)

Congrats on the successful trip.
:D
Tex
Thanks, tried for a deer this morning as it was opening for any buck. Only saw does and fawns but have found a spot where there is some deer so many tomorrow. ;D ;D Two chaps just ahead of me got a nice moose. I came upon a truck in the middle of the road with the motor still running so I know they had found something. I parked the Leaf Mobile for a look and saw a chap coming back to the truck. "get him" I said, "yes" was the reply with the lucky hunter all out of breath, "a nice bull".

I followed him down to the kill spot and got some pictures and video of the downed moose. Was the first time I have seen a moose down as I have never hunted them, maybe will put in for a limited entry next year as there was another bull with the one they bagged.

I will be satisfied with a buck for this season.

kid fisherman

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 03:53:22 PM »

Nice shooting Chris, Ill be out in Vernon next weekend for our annual Thanksgiving hunting trip and I am hoping that we are going to be able to bag a buck.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »

I like how you put hunting, fishing and making some money all into a road trip!

Is it open season for immature bull moose where you are hunting as well as any buck? I've hunted 3-18 for several years mainly for deer but always see a moose or 2. We are heading up to PG next weekend to try and tag a few moose. Nice thing about moose (besides the excellent eats) is that a moose is equal to 3 or so deer. Fills the freezer up fast. We've been applying for cow moose LEH's where we hunt as I find the meat a lot more tender and they don't seem as elusive as the bulls...

Good luck in your hunt!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 06:10:07 PM »

nice TR - combining hunting and fishing like the poster above mentioned  :)
would it be possible to post a pic of the moose, just curious of the size of the one that was taken  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »

nice TR - combining hunting and fishing like the poster above mentioned  :)
would it be possible to post a pic of the moose, just curious of the size of the one that was taken  :)
If you can send me your e mail address I will send you the photo.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »

I like how you put hunting, fishing and making some money all into a road trip!

Is it open season for immature bull moose where you are hunting as well as any buck? I've hunted 3-18 for several years mainly for deer but always see a moose or 2. We are heading up to PG next weekend to try and tag a few moose. Nice thing about moose (besides the excellent eats) is that a moose is equal to 3 or so deer. Fills the freezer up fast. We've been applying for cow moose LEH's where we hunt as I find the meat a lot more tender and they don't seem as elusive as the bulls...

Good luck in your hunt!
Missed this, it was limited entry where they took their moose.