Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River "Toilet Bowl" - What is in there right now? Fishing Report Included.  (Read 4611 times)

Sam6140

It was so nice and warm out today, and most likely the last day like that we'll have for a LONG TIME.  So, early this afternoon, I got "sick" at work *cough* *cough.*   ;)   I just couldn't stop thinking about checking out the Stave River.  

I was fishing there this afternoon for my first time ever, from 3:30pm until closing time (6:15pm).  Very nice, clean, and scenic river.  There are salmon in the system now, not a lot, but a few. They're not big though.  Coho, I'm guessing?  There were a few people fishing there today.

In the "Toilet Bowl," around 5:30pm, I managed to get to hook 2 good sized fish, using a fly & float on my spincast.  But they shook off the hook just before being landed.  I didn't even get a chance to see what they were.  Not salmon, I'm pretty sure.   Any ideas?

There didn't seem to be a lot of fish there.  I fished with a worm all over the toilet bowl, and didn't get a bite from 3:30pm to 4:30pm .  Then I switched to the black wooly bugger & float (5 to 6 ft leader) at 5:00pm, and got those two I mentioned above.  But then, that was after the sun started to go down and the river was shaded.  What is in there at this time?  Where can I find Whitefish on the Stave? or Cutthroat Trout?  Is it the wrong time of the year for them?  I just enjoy fishing when it's nice out, and it's not crowded.  I have ZERO interest in fishing a busy or crowded area, no matter how good the fishing is.  

I got bored of the toilet bowl around 4:30pm and walked just south of there, to where there's a marshy slough.  I saw fish rising there, so thought I'd try there.  Caught a few Northern Pikeminnows, and a tiny 3" Largemouth Bass!  Never seen one that small. lol   It was fish after fish on every cast back there.  But nothing good.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:16:15 AM by Sam6140 »

Sam6140

262 views, and no replies??  ??? :'(

typhoon

• Old Timer

??? I'm guessing like me people have no frame of reference.
You say they were "good" fish, but what does that mean? If they were under 18" they could have been cutthroat trout, coho jacks, bull trout, or even whitefish. Over 18" and they were probably Coho, but could have been chum.
Thanks for the report.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

This time of year the stave will have a few springs, coho and chum. Possibly a small run of pinks as well. In 2003 the pink run was fantastic and it slowly diminished since. Its just the start for the Stave. Its never a waste of time though.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family