Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Roe Cure Disaster (Question)  (Read 13048 times)

tanaka

Salmon Roe Cure Disaster (Question)
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:48:46 PM »

Dear fellow Fishermen,

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I am also new to Salmon Fishing.
Couple days ago, fishing at a river, I realize how powerful Freshly cured Salmon Roes are, as the same fisherman consistently gets strikes and lands fish.

So I spoke with him and he generously gave me a hands full of salmon roe (approx 30 eggs).

So I tried to cure it myself with plain Borax (photo attached). However as it is my first time, I'm pretty sure I'm doing something as it doesn't look anything like the juicy salmon roes other people are producing solely with Borax. It seems to have this powdery White Borax covered onto it rather than returning to that shiny egg texture after 48 hours of Borax treatment. It the Borax powder supposed to be absorbed, or am I supposed to make roe bags and fish with the powder white Borax covering the egg?

Here are the procedures I did. If someone could tell me if I am doing it wrong. I'd greatly appreciate your help.

- Clean eggs individually of Blood and membranes (Picture 1)
- Lay out a white sheet of Letter size paper
- Put Borax on top of Paper to coat the bottom of the eggs
- Put eggs onto borax sheet -> Mix the eggs with Borax
- Put it back into the cleaned container and store it in the fridge. (Picture 2- White Borax on eggs)

Thank you for anyone's help in advance.

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Salmon Roe Cure Disaster (Question)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:54:56 PM »

For singles I boil water and dissolve as much salt as possible, as its cooling I continue to dissolve more salt.
After its cold I add the eggs. Done.
I only use the borax when doing skeins, to make it less messy.

tanaka

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »

For singles I boil water and dissolve as much salt as possible, as its cooling I continue to dissolve more salt.
After its cold I add the eggs. Done.
I only use the borax when doing skeins, to make it less messy.

But going back to the initial question. Looking at the picture I posted and the borax I used.  Is it normal for the end result to look like that?
Did I do something wrong or is it supposed to be like that.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »

Check these links out for roe curing. However, if you youtube "roe curing" you will be able to find other video instructions on how to cure roe.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2001/1101_03.html

http://youtu.be/W_NSAzJHb24
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:01:02 PM by ~IvAn~ »

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:03:13 PM »

you should of put the eggs in enough borax to cover them. Like in a small bowl. Then let them sit for a a few hours. Then take them out and put them on some newspaper with a bit of borax on it. Let them sit in the air for another few hours untill they reach desired hardness. Then store them in a bit of borax or make row bags and throw in the freezer.  Lots of times they will have borax powder on them in your bag or what ever. As soon as you put them on and cast them all the borax rinses right off the egg.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »

For singles, I use a super saturated brine of water and salt. Just dump your single eggs into the solution, keep in the fridge til ready to use. No borax.

tanaka

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:04:57 PM »

Check these links out for roe curing.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2001/1101_03.html

http://youtu.be/W_NSAzJHb24

I did k those out. But I m still confused as to whether or not I m doing the right thing. Because the eggs looks like they are covered with borax. Is the borax supposed to be absorbed into the egg so the surface of the eggs becomes juicy and shiny after cure?

If not. Do I have to dust off the borax before roe bagging it? Or leave the white powder there.
Am I using the right borax?

I m new to salmon roe curing, in fact, it's my first time doing it. Just confused.
If the roes are supposed to be covered w borax after 2 days, do I have to dust off the borax before roe bagging it?

tanaka

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:05:47 PM »

you should of put the eggs in enough borax to cover them. Like in a small bowl. Then let them sit for a a few hours. Then take them out and put them on some newspaper with a bit of borax on it. Let them sit in the air for another few hours untill they reach desired hardness. Then store them in a bit of borax or make row bags and throw in the freezer.  Lots of times they will have borax powder on them in your bag or what ever. As soon as you put them on and cast them all the borax rinses right off the egg.

Thank you Awuban.
When you say desired hardness. How do I test it. And won't the eggs go bad or dry out if left in the counter top in room temperature?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:13:51 PM by tanaka »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »

I did k those out. But I m still confused as to whether or not I m doing the right thing. Because the eggs looks like they are covered with borax. Is the borax supposed to be absorbed into the egg so the surface of the eggs becomes juicy and shiny after cure?

If not. Do I have to dust off the borax before roe bagging it? Or leave the white powder there.

I m new to salmon roe curing, in fact, it's my first time doing it. Just confused.
If the roes are supposed to be covered w borax after 2 days, do I have to dust off the borax before roe bagging it?

i) The borax is not absorbed into the eggs

ii) I would give the eggs a shake to rid of the excess borax before making roe bags. The rest will simply dissolve in the water

iii) That is the right borax you're using.

tanaka

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 06:27:06 AM »

Hmm, I think I'm finally getting it.
So the Borax is merely a preservative to cover/coat each egg so it doesn't go bad and can be used later (1 mth fridge, 1 yr freezer).
That's why there are so many people who tells me to put the eggs in the jar and fill the whole jar with borax...

And when i'm making roe sacs, I shake off some borax, the eggs should look like new and the remainder will dissolve in water?

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »

all the borax runs off in the water. And you can test the eggs by just squeezing one of them. The tougher the egg the longer it will last when your fishing but the less it will bleed, scent into the water. So you kind of have to find what you like. And with roe, once I have cured it I will take it out fishing and bring it home throw it back in the freezer. 

jacked55

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 06:23:55 PM »

Just a side note Tanaka, you said you were fishing in a river the other day while using roe. Which River was it, cause there is a bait ban going on you might not have known about. I too am new to this fishery and just learned this a few weeks ago when i saw the post. Hope this doesn't apply to where you were fishing.

tanaka

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »

Just a side note Tanaka, you said you were fishing in a river the other day while using roe. Which River was it, cause there is a bait ban going on you might not have known about. I too am new to this fishery and just learned this a few weeks ago when i saw the post. Hope this doesn't apply to where you were fishing.

Thanks jacked. I used to live in Richmond, but now I m in crazy indoor city Toronto. I was fishing the mouth of port hope here. 
Really misses  Squamish and north Van. Sunfish fishing is very plain, so I started salmon fishing here. The fish here rarely fights more than 5 mins lol.  Thanks for your concerns, appreciate it.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »

first thing I was going to say is those yellow eggs dont look like any natural fresh salmon roe I have ever seen!  Are those yellow eggs from salmon? Are those the left over cured ones?

Here is the advice I have:
- if you have single eggs let them sit in river water for 30 minutes and the eggs shells will water harden to the point you have to press hard on them to pop.  after they are water hardened you can color them or preserve them - salt, borax, procure, etc 
- borax will dehydrate singles like that, I would tie them into roe bags and re hydrate before using.  I think  you will find the borax will wash off the eggs and they will plump back up with a normal color.

good luck