Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Even the tidal Fraser Estuary can be dangerous!  (Read 5686 times)

frozensalmon

Re: Even the tidal Fraser Estuary can be dangerous!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:24:43 AM »

fraser river could be deadly

one man died in fraser pegleg, and even waves at Gary point park could kill

fishing season is getting a bit differernt smell this year, I really should consider bring life jacket even when I'm fishing on shore in Richmond fraser now..

ALWAYS BE CAREFUL AND PREPARED! NEVER underestimate mother nature's power

fish can be bought after all.

more coho, more coho... ::)

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:03:47 AM »

DragonSpeed I've been out in that area of the river MANY TIMES in our 16ft boat...I can tell ya on high tide big vessels tugs 30 ft pleasure craft wake is no big deal...the majority % of times...

BUT on windy days tide changes speed of vessels going by current speed in the river etc...the wake & waves can DAMN NEAR GIVE YA A HEART ATTACK.....we were in steep waves literally so tall & steep that our 16 ft boat literally dropped like an elevator going down to the ground floor....this was directly across from Gerry Pk but over to the south side of the river near the wood jetty.

Boating on the Fraser is like shaking the dice with the majority of times it is very safe BUT  surprize conditions do happen WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE...like what happened in this story.

Been in large vessels wake along with south winds pushing waves in the Fraser where our boat went violently up down etc like a school kids playground swing....does not surprize me that big waves came off a vessel under the right conditions (wind water flow & waves tides & speed of vessel etc...) that scared the "HECK" out of these people.

BE SAFE FOLKS. EXPECT the UN-EXPECTED.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:07:00 AM by A-BOATER »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »

Must be a slow news day. ;D Big container ships go by the Fraser estuaries all the time, that's why you start moving back as much as possible when you see them approaching in the far horizon. ::)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »

The guy says it was only 50 feet away and then does nothing while his daughter sits and eats her lunch.
Obviously there was going to be a wave from it.
Dumbfounded or is it founddumbed? ::)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:26:44 PM »

Was kinda wondering about this story myself...at least no one got hurt.

mini tsunami  :D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:32:50 PM »

Rodney is a clever guy & quick learner & has a memory as an elephant......all it would of taken was for him to get his running shoes wet 1TIME & after that ...he will back up the rocks when he sees the ships coming up or down the river...

Do remember once bar fishing(many times) with 2 young ladies just down river from the Port Mann Bridge on the Coquitlam side...& they were both standing in about 8 inches of water...they were both looking at me as I was taking their pic...a tug went by & I saw some nice waves coming ...so  waited for a few seconds till the waves hit the back of their legs & they EXCITEDLY ran up to dry ground.
Still have the pic ...of them running WILDLY.
The great part is both these girls just LOVED to get a bar rig on the bottom of the Fraser...
They could spend hrs...being so happy & contented. Fishing was in their blood.

But Rod makes a good pt...ship goes by..there will be wake so people be aware...REMEMBER the FAST FERRIES well they really sent BIG WAKE WAVES  :o :o :o

Zackattack

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 08:26:02 PM »

I thought calling it a "mini tsunami" was quite inappropriate by the newspapers and could cause panic among families in Richmond. These boats are a day to day occurrence along the Fraser and while do create a very dangerous wake, there shouldn't be an uproar over a "mini tsunami". Hopefully families well learn about river safety and to always expect the worse. That said these boat wakes soaked and knocked over my tackle box today on the lower fraser so im no one to talk.

YetiHunter

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 10:42:03 PM »

I thought the "mini tsunami" label might have been a little over the top also, but I can see how if you are inexperienced and get caught off guard, it might feel like a tsunami.

I've spent enough time on the lower Fraser to know better and I still get soaked now and then.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:48:54 PM »

It's a dangerous business when fishing down here. ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 08:47:57 AM »

Geez Rod,you look like you dove in after it. ;D

Beauty Bull.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »

I stopped working in Richmond when I found out it was likely going to sink into the sludge when it hit's critical mass. If all you have to worry about is a mini tsunami until then, chill out man.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »

FYI the technical term for a mini tsunami is wave lol.

fishgutz63

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »

look up and around be aware of your surroundings at all times.problem solved :D and them folks should have clued in is that the fraser river is a marine highway after all . 8)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:19:11 AM by fishgutz63 »

ShaunO

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 10:36:45 AM »

Gary Point was a sand pit well before it was a park and these tankers, bulk carriers, car carriers and container ships have been using the river well before the city of Richmond was even a city!  It amazes me that people, oblivious to the world around them, dare to blame a feature that was there long before it was ever a usable park.  Much like the people who move into a new development in Richmond only to discover it's under a flight path and have the gal to complain about the aircraft noise.  Richmond sure is a special place. I know, I live here :(