Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gravlax  (Read 8367 times)

Chuck23

Gravlax
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »

Has anyone tried the Scandinavia curing method on pink salmon - curing in salt, sugar and dill for a couple of days under pressure? ROD - maybe Nina has a good recipe up her sleeve... I'm thinking of giving it a shot and will let you all know how it turns out...

Dogbreath

Re: Gravlax
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »

I've done it with all of the species except Pinks.

IME there's no need for pressure just lay the fish on the pan/shallow bowl as per directions and flip every 12 hours or so.

It's not my fave but is a great way to quick cure for a BBQ or fast hot smoke-although in that case I leave out Dill-don't like the taste of smoked Dill.

StillAqua

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »

My wife's Danish too and we always have some type of pickled fish in the fridge. She's used pinks, sockeye and coho for Gravlax and they have all been fine, slightly different in texture and flavour but all good. Instead of just dill she sometimes adds other herbs like fennel fronds or even cilantro. Weighing it down isn't absolutely necessary (makes a firmer flesh) but turning it twice a day is.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »

you can use a foodsaver vacuum bag ,cuts out the need for a weight,you dont need to make it full vacuum tight.done in 1 day.

JPW

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »

Is gravlax the same thing as lox or just a similar product at the end of the process?

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 11:45:07 AM »

its  the same texture without smoke flavor, so if you just use salt/suger no dill or pepper you would have lox type without smoke. you could put it into smoker after its cured but temp should be below 85 f.

JPW

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »

its  the same texture without smoke flavor, so if you just use salt/suger no dill or pepper you would have lox type without smoke. you could put it into smoker after its cured but temp should be below 85 f.

Hmmm sounds pretty tasty, I'll have to give it a try.  Thanks for the reply.

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 01:48:19 PM »

Does the fish have to be frozen first?

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »

Does the fish have to be frozen first?

you can use fresh salmon..but you may want to freeze it first to kill off any parasites first.

2 parts brown sugar to 1 part kosher salt and some coarse fresh ground black pepper. any herb you wish to use or no herbs at all. I turn the fish every 12 hours and decide when its done by the feel of the flesh. 2-3 days depending on the thickness of the filet

Tenz85

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »

I tired out this recipe on a couple fillets of pink. Turned out alright but next time I will be using more sugar and less salt.

Anyway, I put half into the freezer and the other into the fridge. Hasn't been moving too fast so I'm wondering how long it lasts and how to tell if its still eatable.

Also, is there a way to make the cured fillets less salty other than running it under cold water and patting dry. I was thinking of doing another quick 12 - 24 hrs brined in pure sugar?

Thanks.

Edit - searched and found this thread without seeing the most recent thread on the same topic. Sorry.  :o
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:15:01 AM by Tenz85 »

Tenz85

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »

Dethawed a couple fillets and threw on a healthy helping of brown sugar on them for 12 hrs rotate and repeated. Turned out great. Saved my batch of gravlax.