Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question to Rodney or others re: 'first light fishery'  (Read 1711 times)

odesseus

Question to Rodney or others re: 'first light fishery'
« on: September 12, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »

This question is for Rod or anyone else who might know the answer,

In your latest video posted on YouTube concerning the pink fishery; you made the comment that it was not a 'first light' fishery. What I am curious about is, regarding other fisheries, such as sockeye and springs, does one need to be on the river at first light for other reasons than obtaining a spot? Is there a difference in the way that Springs will bite on a spin and glow later in the day?

Thanks

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Question to Rodney or others re: 'first light fishery'
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »

With migrating salmon it really doesn't matter.
The exception is coho in frog water, when first light fishing will be better for a VERY short time because the fish is undisturbed.

This is from my personal experience.

greese30

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »

x2 with milo -- the other aspect for fraser fishing at first light is the fish tend to be closer to shore after not being harrassed all night

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 02:55:12 PM »

Milo has summed it up pretty nicely. I don't fish for sockeye in the Fraser so cannot comment much on that. My guess would be those fish are not caught by biting so timing wouldn't matter that much. ;D The few times when we fished for chinook salmon by bar fishing with spin n' glow, there isn't a consistent pattern when it comes to when fish are usually hooked. We've hooked fish very early in the morning when we first arrive at the bar. We've also hooked fish in the middle of the day, sometimes late in the day when we are just about to leave.

For the Tidal Fraser River, tide plays a huge role. There's no point fishing at first light if the tide is low, no fish are moving up during that time. A high tide in the middle of the day can be very productive. I also prefer to fish on a very sunny day, not just because I hate fishing in the rain, but light makes the fish see better in the murky Fraser water. If we are to get more technical, tidal difference and the rate of tide movement also influence how the fish are biting.

strobes

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »

first light, or long light(evening time) have an affect on rivers where the water is clearer.  during mid day when the sun is high and strong its seems to force the fish deeper into pools where they "hide" from the sun and become less active.  in the morning and evening these fish will move out of these pools and become more active.  when they move out they are more likely to bite.  this is my logic behind it.
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>