Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: -Photo's in the rain  (Read 2783 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
-Photo's in the rain
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »

--I live a few miles from the famous BC desert so doesn't happen here much.
--Any tips for photo's in the rain?
--I have traded in my old Minolta VE-GX-4 underwater film camera for a stylus 1030 SW so no problem with C&R pictures in the water but time to retire my Nikon EM SLR. Well won't really retire the film will load with B&W.
--As I only buy a new camera every 20 yrs or so I'm looking for something that will last for outdoor use only.
--Was thinkin Canon ES SD mark II or 60D or Nikon D700

--Gettin lazy on the research... last time I looked the Nikon D200 was entry level with RAW for submitting pictures to magazines..  I see now even some field news crews using Canon with video for upload... much lighter than their old shoulder cameras.

-In any case.. dust, rain and the odd shiver so nice to have some motion control.
-Would the Canon or Nikon models do the trick or am I barkin up the wrong tree?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: -Photo's in the rain
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:34:44 AM »

If the rain is light/drizzle, I just use my DSLR (Canon 550D) and wipe the droplets off whenever needed. Sometimes a small towel on top of the camera keeps it completely dry. Sometimes, when we're filming with it, in the rain, one person just holds the umbrella on top of the camera (which doesn't always cover up the camera operator ;D ). When the camera is being transported while fishing, it goes into a dry bag first, before going into the backpack. Lately I've been thinking about something like this:

http://www.adorama.com/DIPWPS10.html

But that would just mean I have no excuse for not going fishing in the rain anymore when others invite me. ;D

As for Canon or Nikon, I've only used Canon and very happy with it so can't really answer that question. Been filming with their DSLR for almost a year now and very happy with it so far.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »

I have http://www.thecamerastore.com/products/bags-cases/rain-covers/optech-dslr-rain-sleeve-2-pack

I bought it after I said "Goodbye" to a lens and a 40D from being in horizontal rain for 4 hours while hiking.  The camera bag had turned into a giant water holder :( 

I now keep a light "dry-bag" into which I pop my camera if I don't think I'll be using it and the weather is turning inclement and keep the rainsleeves incase I plan to shoot.  I haven't used the sleeves, but discussion on my favourite Canon Forum indicates that they are the best bang for your buck.

Buy your camera based on what you plan to shoot.  5DmkII vs 70D vs 1DmkIV all have their own purposes...

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:38:07 PM »

--great advise thanks.
--I've had my most memorable shots with the point and shoot... old Olympus now replaced by the 1030sw.. mostly because it is with me almost 100%of the time thus opportunity.
--The Nikon was hauled out when main objective was pictures rather than participation.
--In any case the mini films found most often on Utube are increasingly popular... especially with product advertisers.
--I have old Sony HI-8 again move toward digital.

--I used the Hi-8 for coaching curling and fly cast analysis... Often found students do not believe what you tell them until they actually see what they are doing. .. also kept a record for those days when they didn't feel they were progressing...to remind them where they started from. 
--I'm not a real camera guy but suspect like choosing fishing rods... the more specialized you get the more general use drops off.
--Most shots are outdoors and most often hand held rather than tripod or from a boat so steady hand type functions are often used.