Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many hatchery marked coho salmon from Chilliwack River have you kept in fall 2011?

0 :(
- 39 (32.8%)
1 - 5 :-\
- 39 (32.8%)
6 - 10 :)
- 19 (16%)
11 - 15 :)
- 14 (11.8%)
16 - 20 :D
- 2 (1.7%)
21 - 25 :D
- 3 (2.5%)
26 - 30 :o
- 1 (0.8%)
31+ :o
- 2 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: 2011 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 97018 times)

Fishinglover

It's tail end now for salmon in chedder...

bcguy

Did someone say Steelhead? ;)
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Dont say that word, your getting me excited. ;D
We should play a game and see which forum member can pull out the first steelhead this season?
The Bigger The Better!

poper

I caught one last week,not on the vedder but a river in the lower mainland. At the end of month they should start comming in. :)

farky

We all learned the same way. ;) I found the best way to learn how to fish, is by watching others and asking questions to guys who know what there doing. Once you get past the learning curve it becomes a whole lot easier.
I have recently over the last 3 years just gotten back into fishing. When i was a kid i grew up fishing for trout on local rivers and lakes. I never really got into salmon fishing back then, but when the chance to take my son out to teach him how to fish for trout came along,we just happened to hit the vedder right in the middle of the pink salmon season. So i figured hey why not give it a try. So i went out got a rod and some of the usual gear and hit the river, well from the first time i landed one of these fish i was hooked. And i completely agree with BigFisher on this post, although not being completely new to fishing it helped alot to watch what other guys were doing. Also being fortunate enough to run into a few helpful individuals on the river ,to teach me different things on gear and technique has helped me greatly to become a better fisherman. However to my point i have also seen the other side of how people conduct themselves on the river by either ignoring etiquette or causing conflicts.The easiest way is to offer a helping hand to someone maybe teach them something new or in a polite way tell them what they are doing wrong , or perhaps make some suggestions to try, it just might make for a more enjoyable outting on the river.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River is in lovely shape but a bit brisk in the AM. Nice to meet mastersaster on the river today for a chat. Gave him the tackle fishing sale poster to put on Fly BC. ;D

I also saw a chap beach a wild coho salmon and lose another in the few minutes I was in the area, I was surprised to see some nice coho still around. ??? :o

islanddude

Chris. In the late 70;s I would take the first three weeks of november off just to fish for late run cohos.Looks like there are a few stiil around and not a lot of competion.Cold on the hands but very rewarding.Earliest steelhead Nov.14.Tight lines

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

It's never too late. ;D

Looking back in previous seasons, I seem to have pretty good success in the first two weeks of November (even though every year Chris always says it's too late ;D ). It's a lovely time of the year to be fishing the Vedder in my opinion. Hardly anyone around and you have to work a bit harder to find those fresh fish.

This was November 9th last year: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2010/11/09/better-late-than-never/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The season is coming to an end (not quite, but almost ;D ) so I have added a poll to this thread on how many hatchery marked coho salmon you have kept. It has been an excellent season for most, myself included. :) If you are heading out there again one last time before the steelhead season, lets walk out with a bag or two of garbage like what Chris has been doing. Hopefully we'll have more seasons like this in the future.

milo

• Old Timer

There's a huge spike in the hydro-metric graph for the Vedder today.
Can any locals check out the river to see what's going on?

Thanks.

BNF861

• Old Timer

For what its worth, it was still really low with islands showing in the canal when I drove over the kieth Wilson bridge an hour ago. I didn't take notice on clarity but did see someone tossing out a nice double Spey as I drove by so it might not be too bad.

brysonk

River was blown when I left at 3:00 6-12" vis all the way up to borden. Didn't check the canal but assuming it's not much better.

penn

There's a huge spike in the hydro-metric graph for the Vedder today.
Can any locals check out the river to see what's going on?

Thanks.
Drove over the canal at the end of the day , water still quite low , as stated above islands still all showing in the canal . Probably did color up , but it was very low to begin with. Still under 2 meters at Veddar crossing . To get a perspective on that spike redraw the graph going back about a month or so .

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River was blown when I left at 3:00 6-12" vis all the way up to borden. Didn't check the canal but assuming it's not much better.
Took a look on the way for the evening flight and it was not good but very cool now so should clear by tomorrow if no more rain. If it does it will be snow. ???

hue-nut

• Old Timer

canal was mint till I left at 4, however tamahi on up to borden was blown already at 1pm