Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many hatchery marked coho salmon from Chilliwack River have you kept in fall 2011?

0 :(
- 39 (32.8%)
1 - 5 :-\
- 39 (32.8%)
6 - 10 :)
- 19 (16%)
11 - 15 :)
- 14 (11.8%)
16 - 20 :D
- 2 (1.7%)
21 - 25 :D
- 3 (2.5%)
26 - 30 :o
- 1 (0.8%)
31+ :o
- 2 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: 2011 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 97026 times)

mzmann

Sounds nice situation over there.  Will try luck tomorrow anyway...  Can someone share which part of the river is more effective?   mid, or upper river? 

I really think it all just depends and that no part is more effective than the other. I fished the middle and upper last week from the 17th -21st and overall had our best success (coho wise) not far below Tahami bridge and best success with springs a little bit above Allison pools........both places were walked into as we didn't like the crowds at all and pulled numerous coho, a pink and a few springs from the Tahami spot and pulled in numerous springs over 30lbs from the spot above allison.....we had 3 over 30lbs and 3 under from that spot but only fished half a day....many lost/broke off but whats a guy to expect when using the lighter side on line, lol.
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

Fishinglover

Thanks for the info supplied.  Will definitely go to a little bit upper tomorrow, since this year so far I only tried the lower part.   :)

Fishinglover

went to vedder today, around 1 - 6.  starting with lower canal, looks dead over there, then changed to middle to upper river, find a new spot with spring, chum and coho run, but it's crowded.... got one spring (dark), one hatchery coho (red and dark and put it back), two chums. (released them), not bad, still keep zero for  trip...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Heavy rain this afternoon but has stopped now. While cleaning up some garbage and changing the bags at Tamahi Rapids it started to color a bit. Saw no action there but only 4 people working the area.

When I looked at the Lower a few hours later it was fine. There is a few coho around but I think you will have to work for them. First light this morning I saw 3 caught, I fished for 30 minutes and missed two fish and landed 2 chum, one fresh run. Noticed as I released then how small and thin they were.
Might be worth a try tomorrow but I think if looking for fresh fish the major run is done.

Tee

Many thanks for the update!
I only fish on days that end with "y".

Dave

• Old Timer

Heavy rain this afternoon but has stopped now.
Might be worth a try tomorrow but I think if looking for fresh fish the major run is done.
I agree.  Lot's of flossible fish still available but really, who wants them?  I've also observered more wild, well OK, unclipped fish this year; good to see.  Perhaps the nutrient enrichment program managed by the the BCCF is paying dividends ;)

frozensalmon

just checked the website of water level in vedder crossing,  due to heavy rain it rised quite a lot!

http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/graph/graph_e.html?stn=08MH001
more coho, more coho... ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water lovely, fished 20 minutes saw a coho landed and a chum flossed.

Coho had some color but keepable.

Went and scouted out for some cutts as start brood capture soon, Fraser a bit colored.

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....

Water was perfect last night, lots of chum moving through mid-river.
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Dave

• Old Timer

Good news about the chums Bederko :)

milo

• Old Timer

I can vouch for that. Saw tons of chum moving through and even got to harass a couple.

I love the Vedder with chum closed for retention. Boy, has it ever thinned the crowds.  :D

If you ask me, I'd leave them closed for retention forever.

Dave

• Old Timer

If you ask me, I'd leave them closed for retention forever.
x2
Chum fry and carcasses are so important to this watershed and I do think DFO resource managers are finally getting that. Far better IMO to have a carcass in the river than in a freezer.

fic

• Old Timer

x2
Chum fry and carcasses are so important to this watershed and I do think DFO resource managers are finally getting that. Far better IMO to have a carcass in the river than in a freezer.
It's more like DFO screwed up and let the commercial pink run opened for too long which killed too many chums as by catch.  Now they are just making up for it which still doesn't fully remedy the original screw up.

DRP79

Well I got skunked again today for the 5th week in a row  :'(

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Well I got skunked again today for the 5th week in a row  :'(

We all learned the same way. ;) I found the best way to learn how to fish, is by watching others and asking questions to guys who know what there doing. Once you get past the learning curve it becomes a whole lot easier.
The Bigger The Better!