Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many hatchery marked coho salmon from Chilliwack River have you kept in fall 2011?

0 :(
- 39 (32.8%)
1 - 5 :-\
- 39 (32.8%)
6 - 10 :)
- 19 (16%)
11 - 15 :)
- 14 (11.8%)
16 - 20 :D
- 2 (1.7%)
21 - 25 :D
- 3 (2.5%)
26 - 30 :o
- 1 (0.8%)
31+ :o
- 2 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: 2011 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 96992 times)

milo

• Old Timer

I have a question to all the oldtime master fishermen here. I'm new to the fishery, and was out on the vedder yesterday. I found a great hole where one could see fish (coho and springs) congregating in high numbers. i tried to toss everything i had at them; roe, wool of all colours, blades and spinners, but there were no takers. in fact, they would dodge the lures and bate as it drifted by them.

so, my question is: is there a magic bullet to get the fish to bite? As i said, i'm new to this and i really want to try to catch fish the proper way, and not by flossing or snagging (there were a few snaggers out in the same spot, and boy were the 'hooking' on to fish  :P

anyway, all advice is appreciated!

If the water is that clear, go small, as in really, really small. Hook size #4 with a minuscule tuff of light peach colour yarn (cut the yarn the size of ONE pink salmon egg - that about less than a half of the size of your pinky finger nail. Set it at the depth the fish are holding and let it drift naturally - no tension. You'll be surprised. ;)

lohi

If the water is that clear, go small, as in really, really small. Hook size #4 with a minuscule tuff of light peach colour yarn (cut the yarn the size of ONE pink salmon egg - that about less than a half of the size of your pinky finger nail. Set it at the depth the fish are holding and let it drift naturally - no tension. You'll be surprised. ;)

Thanks for your advice! i tried it out, and sure enough hooked onto three coho, and landed a beautiful 8.5 pound hatchery buck. so, thank you again for old timer wisdom  :)

clujalolo

Hows the river around tamahi bridge? Any fish? Water condition?

Planning to head out wednesday! Saw theres quite a bit of rain in the forecast which can be good :p (and bad)

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!

Hows the river around tamahi bridge? Any fish? Water condition?

Planning to head out wednesday! Saw theres quite a bit of rain in the forecast which can be good :p (and bad)

drove by there abit ago and there was no where to park ! lotsa people out in that area !

clujalolo

oooh really?? :s i hope its not soo busy on wednesday!! i'll probably do some hiking and find something else

ynot

• Old Timer

i was at tamahi last wednesday,water was good but only saw pinks caught,no springs coho or chum till 10am when i left . thats the worse fishing at tamahi i have seen in the last 15 yrs. will try again this wednesday.

clujalolo

Hopefully more fish came in! Ill be there on wednesday

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Hopefully more fish came in! Ill be there on wednesday
You will be battling chum salmon then. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Condition good this morning dispite the heavy ran. The river is crowded with people top to bottom but will thin out by tomorrow. :-\ Saw a chum landed this morning, report later as have to get back out there. ;D ;D

milo

• Old Timer

Thanks for your advice! i tried it out, and sure enough hooked onto three coho, and landed a beautiful 8.5 pound hatchery buck. so, thank you again for old timer wisdom  :)

Awesome! :)
Good for you to have found the coho. I wasn't lucky to find them this weekend, but I sure got sore arms from reeling in a bunch of the big brutes.  ;D

As the water gets higher and cloudier with the rain/mud slides, you need to adjust your presentation accordingly. And when chum enter the system in good numbers to spawn, increase the size of the yarn to the size of a single chum egg. You may also want to experiment with more intense colours: red, orange, chartreuse, purple are some of my favs.

clujalolo

Cant wait to go fishing wednesday!! i feel like a little kid, hopefully i run into a coho.....haven't caught one yet, EVER!! (only been fishing since last year)

will be using the advice that was posted!

Any suggestions for types of flies, as I will be fly fishing also, but will also be changing rods here and there.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Cant wait to go fishing wednesday!! i feel like a little kid, hopefully i run into a coho.....haven't caught one yet, EVER!! (only been fishing since last year)

will be using the advice that was posted!

Any suggestions for types of flies, as I will be fly fishing also, but will also be changing rods here and there.

Keep an eye on the hydrograph (select CHILLIWACK RIVER AT VEDDER CROSSING [BC] in this link). If it rains as much as they are forecasting in the next 24 hours, you may want to come up with a couple of other backup plans when this river rises and colours up on Wednesday.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Keep an eye on the hydrograph (select CHILLIWACK RIVER AT VEDDER CROSSING [BC] in this link). If it rains as much as they are forecasting in the next 24 hours, you may want to come up with a couple of other backup plans when this river rises and colours up on Wednesday.
River graph has risen because of the rain last night, will take a look later, could be in poor shape, glad I picked up someof the garbage off KWB gravel bar last night as could be washed away. :(
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:11:16 PM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River graph ahs risen because of the rain last night, will take a look later, could be in poor shape, glad I picked up someof the garbage off KWB gravel bar last night as could be washed away. :(

It rose 20cm, make sure you pick us up from your boat down there when we get swept off this morning... ;D

vancook

• Old Timer

UpdAte later on would be appreciated. That large spike in the river level is enough to twist my rubber arm into going back to bed. Fortunately I'm off all week.