Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seymour River Losers  (Read 10427 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Seymour River Losers
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:34:06 PM »

It's that time of year again.  Every time the pinks run, I see the narrows just above the dollarton bridge lined with guys.  They are ALL doing the same thing.  The river narrows to about 10 feet across, and on an incoming tide you can see these vulnerable groups of pinks trying to make it up the 1 foot deep water then into the pool above and hopefully up river to spawn some where.  These despicable wannabe anglers actually try to hook these fish as they shoot through.  #1  It's not fishable water.   And #2,  Hooking a fish there.... does it make you feel good inside??    Gimme a break.  I was driving over 2 nights ago, and you could actually see a couple of guys running with their eyes glazed over fumbling with their rods and trying to swing their line into the riffle. 

If you took a nice little spinning rod, and a pink spinner, or a jig, and walked up stream and searched for pools where some of these fish actually make it and feel safe, you could sneak up on them and probably entice them to actually going after your lure!    Lure having two meanings.  A fishing "lure".  Or, to "lure" something in.  Both apply to the angler.   But luring a fish in is definitely what these people are not doing.  They are flossing and snagging.  Don't get me wrong.  When the tide is up, you can fish just below the bridge effectively, but under low flow conditions like it has been for the past week, trying to catch salmon at arms reach in less than knee deep water is wrong.

Sorry.  Just had to get that off my chest.  It's been bugging me all week.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

newb33

Re: Seymour River Losers
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »

aint no better than the natives on the cap that had a metal fence just below marine overpass so the fish couldnt advance

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 12:39:25 AM »

Phone them in. If they are intentionally snagging them then it'll be pretty easy for a C.O. to observe from the bridge and catch them in the act.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:40:05 AM »

is that what they were doing? i saw some guys there earlier and wondered what they were doing, considering you cant keep pinks in the non-tidal river it would be odd to 'snag and release'

StillAqua

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:44 AM »

aint no better than the natives on the cap that had a metal fence just below marine overpass so the fish couldnt advance
It's quite different...natives used weirs on the Cap for thousands of years before we built the dam and wiped out their salmon runs.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »

I was there a week ago and witnessed the same thing.  It was only 1 group, however, and they had weighted treble hooks ripping through the same area.

YetiHunter

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »

That circus has been happening on the Seymour every pink run for at least the 20 years I have been here. The CO's know about it and make the odd stop there, not sure how much good it does.

Sad to see so many people snagging fish - and worse it seems contageous, when people see others doing it, they figure its ok for them to do it also.

standalone

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 10:56:11 AM »

We can't stop snagging fishing anywhere as long as BB sockeye in Fraser is legal.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 10:57:28 AM »

I'd like to see this (to phone it in) as I have zero tolerance for this kind of thing and want to make use of a certain cell phone number I've acquired ;)

But the treble hook guys...are they FN in which case it would be Legal for them to practice this?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »

Flossing is technically legal.  Snagging is not.  Think of how much damage is being done to the fish.

The easy solution and worked when I fished the Seymor, whip out your cell phone and take pictures of the people, from a distance, be safe.  But make sure they can see you doing it, obviously.  Better yet, if your phone is capable, or even if it isn't start doing 'panorama' movements back and forth as if you are taking video.

noobfisher

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »

Call the RAPP line and report them.  Makes me sick.

joy-of-fishing

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 02:51:57 PM »

What makes you sick the fact that they floss? So..? no different from the fraser river or fishing with wool.

Hypocrites

joy-of-fishing

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 02:52:36 PM »

If they are snagging with treble hooks though different story.

Burbot

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 12:24:21 AM »

Flossing is technically legal.  Snagging is not.

What is the difference?   The Fraser snag fishery has spread all over to smaller rivers now.

lucas

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 03:57:23 PM »

I walked down from the park in the back of maplewood farm,looking for a good fly fishing spot the other day,and saw the guys you were talking about; its the oddest thing i ever witnessed in all my years of fishing in rivers,there probably wasnt even a foot of water!