Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kokanee in a river?  (Read 2148 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Kokanee in a river?
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »

I was visiting Stehekin, Washington (USA) this weekend, and saw quite a few Kokanee on their way up the Stehekin river to spawn.  Anyone know if Kokanee will take a fly in a river as well as their full grown counterparts?  I know I've hooked a few sockeye in the vedder that clearly bit my offering, but I'm not so sure Kokanee aren't too far along when they are in the river.  They are florescent red and green where I saw them, not dark red & green like the sea-run sockeye turn.

fishnjim

Re: Kokanee in a river?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:25:39 PM »

i have caught kokanee on the fly in the kootenay river in september 2 years ago.  red spratleys.  refreshing brake from elk hunting.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Kokanee in a river?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »

I was visiting Stehekin, Washington (USA) this weekend, and saw quite a few Kokanee on their way up the Stehekin river to spawn.  Anyone know if Kokanee will take a fly in a river as well as their full grown counterparts?  I know I've hooked a few sockeye in the vedder that clearly bit my offering, but I'm not so sure Kokanee aren't too far along when they are in the river.  They are florescent red and green where I saw them, not dark red & green like the sea-run sockeye turn.

I think if they are that far gone then leave them be. Why put them under any more stress or possible death.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day