Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tangling line on a spin caster  (Read 4856 times)

greese30

Tangling line on a spin caster
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:07:17 PM »

I spooled up some new line on a great little Abu spin caster but now often when my son flips the bail, the line folds, flops, spins (?) off creating great messes of tangled, un-castable line. Any ideas of what i am doing or have done wrong? I want my kid to join me on the river but constantly (and I mean constantly fixing his reel and set up is getting on both of our nerves!

Spooled up with 12 lb Maxima Cameleon

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Tangling line on a spin caster
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »

Line twist, could be caused by the way the line was spooled onto the reel, possibly a bad swivel on a spinner if you used one, or overspooling. Best to take it into a store and have it respooled (have them look at it first of course). I also prefer to use thinner line on a spinning reel as I find line 12lb test or over on a spinning reel never works nicely.

greese30

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »

suggestions as to how to properly respool the reel?

i put the spool of line to be used on a dowel in the garage, ran it through the guides and reeled it on, keeping pressure on the line between my fingers as i reeled it on.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »

I would guess to much line on the reel.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:54:28 PM »

I would guess to much line on the reel.

Yup

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:57:23 PM »

--if not to much line on the reel... check to see where the line is when your son is opening the bail.
--dip line in warm water.. spool it out with no weight on it and reel it back in.

--for spooling on a bail reel many wind it on same direction it comes off the spool as opposed to spooling off a dowel like you would for a bait caster.

--there are some video's on thundermist lure site that demo how to spool bail reel.  

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:04:45 AM »

I like to use berkley trilene on spinning reels because it's much thinner than maxima. I love maxima don't get me wrong, but I find it works better on my level wind and for leaders

one more cast

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:46:03 AM »

--if not to much line on the reel... check to see where the line is when your son is opening the bail.
--dip line in warm water.. spool it out with no weight on it and reel it back in.

--for spooling on a bail reel many wind it on same direction it comes off the spool as opposed to spooling off a dowel like you would for a bait caster.

--there are some video's on thundermist lure site that demo how to spool bail reel.  

Here's the link to the vid

http://www.thundermistfishingtips.com/video-better-version-how-to-spool-line-onto-your-reel-how-to-prevent-fishing-line-twist

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 07:23:20 AM »

put triline xl 8-10 lb line on it.dont overfill spool.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 08:30:30 AM »

Trilene gets a bad rap but its the best stuff for spinning reels.  Bung some 10lb on there and you're cooking with gas!
- John A.

Dogbreath

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »

spooled up with 12 lb Maxima Cameleon
I like that stuff but Chameleon is quite a bit stiffer than the usual Ultra Green most people use-as mentioned I'd switch it out for something a bit softer/thinner.

greese30

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 07:00:02 PM »

great stuff y'all... i cut off a bunch of line then let it all run down in a riffle today and re-pulled it in.  the kid played for 4 hrs with no troubles.. thanks for the help!

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »

Skaha hit the nail right on the head!

What'cha gotta do is feed your new line through the closest eye on the rod there then open the old bail there then ya tie your good freakin knot on the spool.  Lay your new spool of line flat on the floor and stand above or sit down but hold the rod above the spool so the eye closest to the reel (where you fed the line through) is directly over the spool on the floor.  Then whatcha gotta do is reach up with your non reeling hand and grab the ole rod and line at the same time.  With your other hand you start reelin er in there.  You will be able to tell pretty gal darn quick if ya got a line twist happenin.  Just reel maybe 10 or 15 times then lower your rod towards the spool on the floor.  If it really starts to twist up on ya then whatcha gotta do is flip the spool of line on the floor on to the other side.  This will cause the old son of a gun line to come off in the opposite direction and all that.  Ten or 15 more reels on the line just to confirm the old line in fact comes off better than before, and your off to the races.  Make sure not to over fill the spool, and always use top quality line.  None of that bulk spool crap ya get at Ukranium tire for 5 bucks for 500 yards.  Spend at least 10 bucks on a small spool and you'll be good to go.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »

I put some new trilene smooth casting 10lb on my spinning rod last week, the stuff IS complete bunk and garbage, the twisting isn't too terribly, but the line was beyond brittle and I found myself having to re-tie my knots every 10 casts or so because I just didn't trust the line to not break when I had a pink on. It's off my reel now and in the garbage.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »

I do exactly what driller suggested here but I go one step further:

After spooling new line on the  reel I  take the rod and reel down to a park somewhere, pull out as much line as I can laying it flat on the lawn and reel it back in again.  Normally I repeat this three or four times - that does a lot to work any residual twist out of the line.  (Which can never be completely eliminated with a spinning reel)