Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar Fishing  (Read 6080 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Bar Fishing
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:42:23 PM »

Just wondering if anybody has made an attempt to bar fish with the bar rig setup this season and if anyone has been successful . I myself have put in about 25 + hours in trying to swayed a spring on the bar rod . I know it has been tough with the water being so dirty . Even the UV spin&glow was not getting any notice . Real estate has been tough to with most productive spots being crowded with the alternative BB fish persons . Any way , just a question . Have you bar fished this year and how was your success ? .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

frozensalmon

Re: Bar Fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:08:20 AM »

I tried bar fishing too in the past 2 months........ with only one time sturgeon bite and that's it.... no salmon no nothing,
I guess this year fraser is being too dirty and visualbility is just bad

more coho, more coho... ::)

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:16:43 AM »

We were out yesterday just past Harrison River - after we got our sockeye in a short time - we moved location (as not to get tangled up with the other sockeye fishers) to set up a couple of bar rigs on the end of the boat for about an hour and half.  No bites - but definitely enjoyed the sun and the scenery - eagle, herons, and paragliders.

Water is still high and fast and dirty.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

lovetofish

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »

We were  out once a couple of weeks ago for 6 hours or so. No luck that day. The water is still dirty and there is a pile of small debris still floating downstream that catches up on your line making a nuisance of itself. This is probably due to all the boat wash from the many boats roaring up and down the river.

greese30

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:55:59 PM »

i bar fished for a few days, 4-6 hours each day to no avail this year.  not too keen on the bar rigs.  can't seem to guarantee my cast does not result in a tangle of wieght and spin n glo.... frustrating... and besides that i seem to keep watching BBers dragging springs in....flossed i know ... but still discouraging to watch another drag em up while i drag up tangles after an hour or more

Butch1949

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »

I've been bar fishing at Brownsville bar all last week, I'm learning, didn't catch but on the average saw 5 jacks per day caught using roe on the two hooks of the rig, was told my boraxed roe was second to salted roe which the jacks prefer, next season I'll be better prepared, I am told these jacks taste great ;D
"I don't catch fish"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »

Now is the time to bar fish, they are there. ;D ;D

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »

I've been bar fishing the upper Fraser from Gill rd. and up at various spots along the way to Herling with no luck yet . I will keep pounding though , never give up   :P .

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »

Water is getting better now I am told.

ICA

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 07:42:35 AM »

Does anyone know if Herrling Island is closed to public access to the bar.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »

I seen a few guy's there last Friday fishing the Herling bar , how ever I'm not sure how they got there . I didn't see any vehicles . Besides the river is still running through  the back channel . They could have waded across . I would not do that unless I had a PFD or not at all . Not worth it . They didn't have a boat I know that . I was fishing above Herling and could see them fishing there .

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »

Hit the river for 5 hours today by Kanaka Creek mouth.  A lil nibble but no action.  I was wondern though with bar fishing in tidal water do you need to fish the out going tide instead of incoming?  Cause I think I wasnt gettin the right flow of the water,  really slowwwwww.

coho65

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 08:32:01 PM »

any of you guys ever try scent on your spin/glows???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »

Hit the river for 5 hours today by Kanaka Creek mouth.  A lil nibble but no action.  I was wondern though with bar fishing in tidal water do you need to fish the out going tide instead of incoming?  Cause I think I wasnt gettin the right flow of the water,  really slowwwwww.

The bar fishing technique practiced in the Chilliwack River is quite different to what is done in the Tidal Fraser River. In the tidal portion, where current can go either way due to the tide, you usually just bottom fish with roe. Incoming tide is best, if you are targeting fish that are heading up the Fraser River. At times, if you are targeting fish entering the slough of the mouth where you are fishing, then outgoing can also be good. Sometimes these fish head up the slough and will drop back down as the tide goes out due to the lack of water.

any of you guys ever try scent on your spin/glows???

Many years ago, when Chris took us out bar fishing in late August, we would put a roe bag on the hook behind the spin n' glow. This method was pretty productive for chinook jacks.