Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting fly tying  (Read 8091 times)

aaron.az

Starting fly tying
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:59:36 AM »

I would like to learn how to tie flys. I have a selection of about 50-60 that I have bought or have been made for me. How much does it cost to outfit myself to start creating my own and replicating classic working patterns? Is it a hard skill to pick up? How do I self teach myself , any information would be greatly appreciated .

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Starting fly tying
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »

I would recommend purchasing a starter kit that will have all the basics in one package (vice, bobbin, scissors, thread, tinsel, dubbing material, feathers), and these can come in under $50.  You can then pick up better quality tools as you go, such as a good vice, a decent bobbin (cheap ones fray the thread and lead to frustration), and a good pair of scissors.  Once you have the basics you can then purchase material specific to patterns you want to tie that did not come in the kit.  Get yourself a fly tying book or video to show you the basic techniques (I do not know any as I was taught by my father when I was 6 and while I have read a few books, they all seem pretty much the same). I would recommend finding someone who ties to show you the ropes as you will learn things from a mentor that a book cannot teach you.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:34:30 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

slurpie

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »

As Sandman recommends, a starter kit is a great beginning.  Although not an absolute requirement, look into purchasing a rotary vise.  This is a very useful feature as your fly tying skills improve.  Also, youtube can be a very useful resource and has tutorials on ties for specific flies.  You can make variations based on your requirements and the materials you already have on hand.  My 2¢

A word of caution...Tying your own flies can be extreme rewarding and satisfying when you catch fish using your own ties or especially your own creations.  Once you start on this journey, you will find there is no end to materials out there.   And when you start out, you might find yourself addicted, constantly prowling the fly shops or craft shops.  This can be very tough on the old pocket book and might cause some conflict when you tell the wife she can't buy anymore shoes because you need that cape of grizzly hackle to tie that special fly!  Or when she enters your fly tying cave and discovers that you've been purchasing fly tying materials with the milk money and smuggling them into your cave.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 10:28:59 AM »

I would not reccomend a starter kit because they come with mats that you might not ever use. Heres what to do, go to one of your local shops and tell the sales person you are a starting fly tyer and need equipment. For about $100 he'll set you up with a decent vice and materials to tie flies for this area. Start with something easy like Wooly Buggers, and Pumkinheads then try your hand at Chironomids. Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.
Take the T out of Morton.

aaron.az

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »

Thanks guys, all the advice is appreciated. Anything to do with fishing can soon become an addiction. Just remember when u were a child couldn't get enough of those shiner perch. I'll head down to Berrys and see what they'll do for me.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »

youtube is your best friend.

;)

one more cast

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »

youtube is your best friend.

;)

agree

also don't get hung up on tying flies for the fisherman...learn practical 'BC' flies that catch fish not the fisherman.

Phil Rowley has great flytying books out that have been tried and true tested for BC stillwaters.

Once you learn 'body porportions' ( go slim to begin ) you might want to stretch out and tie some more classic 'spey' flies or Atlantic classic flies... that's where
your money goes but they're works of art when you put them in shadow boxes.

Keep it basic and simple to start.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 04:55:28 PM »

Don't buy a starter kit, there are SOOOOOO many things in them that you will never use!!!!

I teach Fly Tying, and what I do is find out where my student is going to be fishing (Lake, River, salmon, Steelhead, etc.....) and then give them a list of things to buy.

I would, as a beginner, buy the fllowing tools;

-Vice
-Whip finisher
-2 Bobbins (I recommend the ones that have ceramic inserts, or full ceramc)
-Bodkin
-Hair Stacker
-Dubbing spinner
-One pair of good scissors, and one cheep pair (For cutting wire, etc.....)
-Stiff bristled tooth brush, and then glue on a small piece of valcro on the back side (The male part)

Then, from there, you need to figure out what kind of flies you want to tie and go to the store and buy the materials you need.

You will need the following for sure!;

-Black thread (3/0), (6/0) & (8/0)
-Olive Green Thread (3/0), (6/0) & (8/0)
-Red Thread (3/0), (6/0) & (8/0)
-White Thread (3/0), (6/0) & (8/0)
-Head Cement

After that, you REALLY need to figure out WHT you want to tie, and go out and get the materials!

Good luck, and Welcome to "The Obsession!!!"

Rick

Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 05:44:18 PM »

I teach fly tying also and do recommend a start kit. However most are a waist of money since most companies try to make them generic. Angler, Caddis or Walmart house-brand  have very little in supplies that don't apply to BC. As for a starter book I recommend "Fly tying For Trophy Trout" by Jack Shaw. Having a competent fly tyer show the basics is advisable since some thing are best taught hands-on. Lastly don't get caught up in what others think of your flies, perfection comes with practice. In the end it is the fish that are the final judge as to how your flies work and if they like them, nothing else really matters.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:27:02 AM »

i self taught myself to tie flies last summer and found it really easy to learn, i used no videos or books just copied flies, but i am very patient. i will warn you when starting fly tying buy cheap matieral cus your first bunch of flies will be crappy.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

aaron.az

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »

Thanks Rp3Flyfisher, that last im sure will come in handy soon. the majority of my fishing will be done in lakes. in the cachecreek area (Loon lake and hihium) or farther up in the kamloops lakes. although i would also like to be able to tie a few salmon flies especially for pinks.

one more cast

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 03:34:48 PM »

i self taught myself to tie flies last summer and found it really easy to learn, i used no videos or books just copied flies, but i am very patient. i will warn you when starting fly tying buy cheap matieral cus your first bunch of flies will be crappy.

Good point. I have tins full of gawdy, over dressed flies waiting to be cut apart for the expensive hooks:)

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »

Thanks Rp3Flyfisher, that last im sure will come in handy soon. the majority of my fishing will be done in lakes. in the cachecreek area (Loon lake and hihium) or farther up in the kamloops lakes. although i would also like to be able to tie a few salmon flies especially for pinks.

You are welcome.

If you are going to be fishing in the Loon Lake area, I would tie up the following to start.

-Wooly Buggers
-Micro Leeches
-Half Backs
-Tom Thumbs
-Doc Spratlys
-52 Buicks

Remember, this is just a start, you will need more patterns than this, but these are simple and VERY effective!!!

There are a tone of online resources that will give you great recipes, but what I would do is go to http://www.flytyingforum.com, they are a great bunch of guys, and the fly index is HUGE!!!!!!!!!

Good luck once again.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif