Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camping and fishing  (Read 1604 times)

Preliator

Camping and fishing
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »

Hey guys. My roomates have been complaining that I'm not around much these days... I'm always on the water and they don't seem to understand why unless I come home with a handful of fish. Unfortunately for them, I catch and release and according to them, I always have a bad day out on the water because of that. Anyway, in an attempt to spend some time with my friends, they want to go camping in a non provincial park somewhere. Now it's up to me to find a place because they know I'll only go somewhere where I can get my line wet. I understand people aren't willing to give out any holes, which I'm well aware of, but I will leave my email in hopes of getting a serious response and will give my word that I will be responsible for any cleanup left by my friends. It can be 4x4 but iit would be prefered if a car could make it (with caution). I am being forced to go camping with them, I just don't want to waste it out in some bush when I could be chucking some flies.. Thanks for any assistance. My email is patrickrdwyer@gmail.com!

Hook, Line and Sinker

Re: Camping and fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:30:14 PM »

Patrick,

get thyself the holy bible of the backwoods - The Backroad Mapbook by the Mussio Brothers. It shows non-provincial camping spots, fishing locations and 4WD roads all on the same page. They have a new handy-dandy chip to insert into the GPS in your truck, so you can follow along the route as you drive. Which is a must-have when you're going up an FSR with side branches every klick or two - you'd be lost long before you ever made it to a lake.

Just pick a spot with a tent and fish symbol and hit 'Go'.

Or if you want to do it on the cheap, use Google Earth. Follow the waterways, look for gravel roads that meet-up with flat spaces and are water accesible in the backcountry. Then draw a hand map, pack a tent and go explore.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »

Patrick,

get thyself the holy bible of the backwoods - The Backroad Mapbook by the Mussio Brothers.

X2
- John A.

Preliator

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:36:31 PM »

That's very impressive. They make it impossible to get lost anymore, even on the furthest of backroads. I'm going to pick this up right away and start searching, thanks for the advice!