Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coquihalla River sockeye  (Read 6048 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Coquihalla River sockeye
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:34:18 AM »

Is there a run of sockeye in the Coquihalla river?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Coquihalla River sockeye
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »

Is there a run of sockeye in the Coquihalla river?

I cannot imagine there is, as I cannot see them getting up to the lakes for rearing.  That would be a surprise.
Not all those who wander are lost

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »

Saw them jumping up the rapids at the Othello tunnels.

What happened to Bavarian Raven's post?  He said there is a small run left over from some kokanee that came over the dam??
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

StillAqua

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »

There are still some sockeye that spawn in Sucker Creek, outlet of Kawkawa Lake, and apparently they rear in some swampy areas downstream. More of a river-type sockeye I guess.
I was told there are falls/rapids about 5-6 kms up the Coq that only coho and steelhead can get up.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »

What happened to Bavarian Raven's post?  He said there is a small run left over from some kokanee that came over the dam??

Are you sure they were socks? This of year normally we see summer steelhead jumping.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »

They could have been steelhead as the people that saw them may have misidentified them. 

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 07:14:15 PM »

What happened to Bavarian Raven's post?

i got it deleted  ;) i misread the title as "Coquitlam River Sockeye" instead of "Coquihalla River Sockeye"  :-\ lol
as for the Coquihalla river, there aren't any sockeyes that i know of. a few steelhead though.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »

They could have been steelhead as the people that saw them may have misidentified them. 

Stranger things have happened  ::)

J
- John A.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 06:27:37 PM »

When I was younger (10-12) my Oma and Opa use to take me to the creek on the backside of the river just after the bridge.
They were bright red fish with humps spawning in there all the time, if my memory serves me correct I think they were sockeye. If not then they were pinks.
Will have to take a drive up there... I think it was October or maybe a bit later.
There are river type sockeye that go directly to the ocean after hatching, not common though.

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/fidq/fissSpeciesSelect.do Type in Coquihalla River
Last seen spawning Jan 1997

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 09:55:22 PM »

Most likely the ones that did not get through Helll's Gate this year because of the late highwater situation. Many sockeye ran out of energy and just dropped back down river and tried to find some where to spawn. Saw  this a few years ago with sockeye entering small creeks. Even saw them in Ford Creek, by the Falls Golf course.

Radman

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 04:18:44 PM »

Last year when I was at othello tunnels I definetly saw sockeye in the river, they were already red so I am sure thats what they were.  I saw probably close to 20 in the time that I was there.