Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Pitt River, August 6th 2011  (Read 2268 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Upper Pitt River, August 6th 2011
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »

Reports of tremendous bull trout fishing proved irresistible.

Tremendous day.   Weather a bit cloudy and the water a bit coloured.   Perfect.

Two dudes fly fishing, neither very expert at casting.

Result:   One modest chinook landed, two bull trout landed, one large chinook given a long distance realease after a tussle, several sockeye hooked, one landed.  And of course all carefully released.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:34:13 PM by VAGAbond »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: Upper Pitt River, August 6th 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:11:27 PM »

Wow looks like a dream come true!

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:55:19 PM »

Looked like an awesome day  :)  I have yet to get up there, thanks for sharing!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 12:23:45 AM »

Note to all anglers, it is not legal to target chinook on the Pitt river.
Fish killer 101

poper

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:21:19 AM »

Its all catch and release,so I think that means all species of fish can be caught and released.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »

Its all catch and release,so I think that means all species of fish can be caught and released.

Actually younggun is correct in that regard. If a species does not have a daily quota, then there is no retention and catch & release is permitted, however, if sometimes a specific species is listed in the "no fishing" category which means you cannot target, catch and release them.

This is not to say we are implying VAGAbond was purposely targeting chinook salmon. You'd of course come across species that you cannot target at times in waters where you are fishing for other species. As long as they are released with care and not caught repeatedly, then it's fine.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 10:08:37 AM »

problem is even though your not targetting them they get caught quite alot because they are agressive with the lack of fishing pressure up there

HOOK - think a chinook by-catch is pretty sweet  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

poper

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »

So you can target sockeye,coho,ect...... but not springs? Wouldn,t you use the same flys/gear for those fish?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »

Actually younggun is correct in that regard. If a species does not have a daily quota, then there is no retention and catch & release is permitted, however, if sometimes a specific species is listed in the "no fishing" category which means you cannot target, catch and release them.

This is not to say we are implying VAGAbond was purposely targeting chinook salmon. You'd of course come across species that you cannot target at times in waters where you are fishing for other species. As long as they are released with care and not caught repeatedly, then it's fine.

Yes, youngun was correct in that Chinook in the upper (and lower) Pitt fall into the "no fishing for" category so should not be targeted.  However, I think you would be hard pressed to accuse anyone fly fishing to be "targeting" Chinook.  While they may be aggressive in the upper Pitt, Chinook, are by far the least likely of the salmon species (running closely with sockeye) to chase a fly, although you can definitely catch them. 
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »

actually if you are using very heavy sink tips and chinook specific flies then you could be nailed for specific targetting. Im sure there is also chinook specific water types and the guides know where they like to lay for the most so they should also be keeping people away from the bulk of them. like I said any chinook caught there is an accidental catch which seems to happen alot.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

poper

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »

actually if you are using very heavy sink tips and chinook specific flies then you could be nailed for specific targetting. I'm sure there is also chinook specific water types and the guides know where they like to lay for the most so they should also be keeping people away from the bulk of them. like I said any chinook caught there is an accidental catch which seems to happen alto.

I disagree, I've fished the Pitt a fair bit and if your fishing for trout i would agree with you,but for salmon most of the time you need heavy sink tips, and usually the runs are the same but the springs will be mixed right in,and for flys they will hit any salmon fly you throw out,I have not found a fly just for springs.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 11:19:26 PM »

Just a heads up that the Fisheries crew is heading up there next week so all jet boaters please be aware that you might see them rafting downstream.

Thanks.

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 01:15:24 PM »

Is there any company that offers a shuttle service to get up to the Upper Pitt?  The only thing I find are guiding services...

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »

Is there any company that offers a shuttle service to get up to the Upper Pitt?  The only thing I find are guiding services...

Try posting in the General Discussion section that you would like to fish there...somebody may be heading up, or may be able to get you there and down.
- John A.