Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pinks on the level wind  (Read 5018 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Pinks on the level wind
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »

I dont have a fly setup and was wondering what to use for pinks - flywise, I know they bite at any spinner or lure that has pink on it, but was wondering what they bite in the rivers, especially if one was to use a level wind setup and wanted to drift...besides roe.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Pinks on the level wind
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »

To target pink salmon with a level wind in rivers, simply fish with a float setup. Roe is not necessary. In fact, roe does not work that well when it comes to pink salmon, from what I've experienced anyway. A piece of pink wool or brightly coloured wool drifted under a float works quite nicely if there are fish around. If you prefer something that stands out more, you can always use a fly for pink salmon instead, most local shops will have them available. You can also use a unweighted spinner under a float. Simply cast and either let it drift downstream with tension being put on the float or slowly retrieve the float as it travels downstream.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »

To target pink salmon with a level wind in rivers, simply fish with a float setup. Roe is not necessary. In fact, roe does not work that well when it comes to pink salmon, from what I've experienced anyway. A piece of pink wool or brightly coloured wool drifted under a float works quite nicely if there are fish around. If you prefer something that stands out more, you can always use a fly for pink salmon instead, most local shops will have them available. You can also use a unweighted spinner under a float. Simply cast and either let it drift downstream with tension being put on the float or slowly retrieve the float as it travels downstream.

+1

Also, megawatt spoons under a float
- John A.

c-pin

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »

Most of my Pinks caught in the river have been on wool. Use a very sparse tie and use a couple of different shades of pink wool. My "go to" combo is cerise and bubblegum pink.

Good Luck,  John
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:06:09 PM »

I too have found the pinks are not good roe takers (not that I've fished for them using roe, but found that we were able to get coho hidden amongst pinks).  I digress...pink flies under a float can work very well.  Stratocaster ended up doing this when he decided to give the fly rod a rest and he cleaned up!  Try pink shrimp or streamer patterns - I prefer my flies to be on the sparse side.  I imagine that pink jigs would work as well.  ;)

kid fisherman

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 04:54:42 PM »

Can this setup work in the tidal Fraser too?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »

In the Tidal Fraser River, some people do use a float above a lure and slowly retrieve it. They catch fish this way, but I prefer to simply cast and retrieve a spoon without any additional terminal tackle (weight, float, etc). The only advantage I can see with the float setup is having the ability to slow your retrieve right down to even pause at times, which really isn't that necessary when fishing down here.

kid fisherman

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 05:05:13 PM »

Thanks Rodney!

therise

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 08:48:33 PM »

Pink is the go-to wool color, but chartreuse is my favorite.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:38:37 PM »

The only time I've ever caught pinks on roe was when I got lazy and just fished the remaining small piece of skein on my hook.

In my opinion, especially in clearer water, the pink flies will outproduce yarn all the time.  The fly will produce an action that yarn just cannot replicate.  Remember that their natural food source in the Ociean is Krill and even though they have stopped feeding,  they will still strike out of instinct.

If you ever get a chance to see one of FFM's pink flies moving in the water, you'll know what I mean.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »

what is ffm?

thanks guys. Ill try some pink wool ties, just a small bit of wool and let you know how it goes ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 12:06:48 AM »

what is ffm?

thanks guys. Ill try some pink wool ties, just a small bit of wool and let you know how it goes ;)

Think he's referring to a member of this board.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 12:55:12 AM »

what is ffm?

His fishing partner, flyfishing magician on the forum.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »

Jigs and spinners under a float slay pinks. I find that the spinner dosent even have to have be pink i just use plain silver.
[

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 08:27:24 PM »

can always drift a jig too~

oops been mentioned already lol