Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camping Spot  (Read 5340 times)

Tuna Helper

Camping Spot
« on: July 26, 2011, 03:51:45 PM »

Hey guys, I'm planning a bit of a camp-out for my brother coming from Ontario at the end of August.  Where would you recommend we go that's pretty private, (forestry sites?, no provincial or private sites)  Hoping to get a bit of fishing in, and preferably within 4 hrs or so from the lower mainland.  We have a 4x4, but not lifted.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

WestEast

Re: Camping Spot
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:12:32 PM »

You don't mention if you are camping weekends, or weekdays. I just spent 2 nights Sun-Tue completely alone with the loons at a forestry campsite on a lake in the Pike Mountain area between Princeton and Merritt. I've been to other forestry campsites midweek, and usually see them empty. Any that are populated tend to be those able to take in Trailers where you'll have someone set up for the week. Weekends are a different case. Most sites will have campers in place by late Friday. They leave Sunday.

Tuna Helper

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:48:48 AM »

Ya, we were planning on taking off Friday morning, anyone been up to Gwyneth Lake on the Hurley Pass lately? Last time I was up there was 10 years ago, just wondering how the road in is? Thanks Again for the reply!

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 04:13:26 PM »

I like Pike mountain too.  There are 3 different ways to the area which can make it interesting, and fun for your brother to check out the BC backroads.  You can drive in to Princeton then north on 5A to the Pike mountain forest suervice road.  Or you can head to Merrit, then towards Kelowna and turn down the 5A again this time heading south to the same turnoff.  Or, my favourite, and fastest way is to turn off at exit 256 (the coldwater exit) just after the toll booth.  From there you head through brookemere and along parts of the Kettle valley railway.  The last route is very scenic and it is also the fastest.

Once on Pike favourite lakes are Kump, Ludwick, and Johnny. 

Nice thing about Pike mountain too is, if you don't get a good vibe about the first lake you stop at, there are another 5 lakes within 20 minutes drive. 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Ned

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 05:45:37 PM »

How about Ricki lake (lol) or Thalia? Lodwick (Ludwick) also has a nice island to cliff jump from!

I like Pike mountain too.  There are 3 different ways to the area which can make it interesting, and fun for your brother to check out the BC backroads.  You can drive in to Princeton then north on 5A to the Pike mountain forest suervice road.  Or you can head to Merrit, then towards Kelowna and turn down the 5A again this time heading south to the same turnoff.  Or, my favourite, and fastest way is to turn off at exit 256 (the coldwater exit) just after the toll booth.  From there you head through brookemere and along parts of the Kettle valley railway.  The last route is very scenic and it is also the fastest.

Once on Pike favourite lakes are Kump, Ludwick, and Johnny. 

Nice thing about Pike mountain too is, if you don't get a good vibe about the first lake you stop at, there are another 5 lakes within 20 minutes drive. 

mike89

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 10:32:50 PM »

Pick a lake in Princeton short drive, and lots off lakes, if one isn"t producing drive to the next.  Set up camp and explore, every lake has fish.

island boy

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 12:50:14 PM »

i hear the smell of rubber isn't good for fishing. inside joke.
you kill it, you clean it.