Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Early Fraser River Chinook Run Looks Bleak  (Read 11725 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Early Fraser River Chinook Run Looks Bleak
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »

BiwiBwi,  the Pacific Salmon Commission indeed operates a hydro acoustic sockeye enumerating site at Mission; the only other hydroacoustic site up river is at Qualark, a DFO/Yale FN operation near Yale that uses a different technology, again designed to count sockeye but with proper funding could enumerate chinook.   Hells Gate numbers are generated by visual observations only, for all species.

That was my take as well.  I have never heard of a hydroacoustic operation on the Fraser that counts Chinook.  I "believe" there is a Squamish area band that utilizes hydroacoustics to count Chinook, but I am not that familiar with that operation as I am with the Fraser.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2011, 11:12:29 PM »

It is true hydroacoustic station at Mission is mostly used to count sockeye and pink.  However, on going research for using the same technique to count chinook is in place.

But you are correct I should not have said the technique is used for in season prediction.  As it is still experimental. 

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 11:58:07 AM »

That was my take as well.  I have never heard of a hydroacoustic operation on the Fraser that counts Chinook.  I "believe" there is a Squamish area band that utilizes hydroacoustics to count Chinook, but I am not that familiar with that operation as I am with the Fraser.

There indeed was a hydroacoustic count done on the Cheakamus for chinook but that was a few years ago and is no longer in operation.It was funded by the Pacific Salmon Foundation and CN Rail as part of the Cheakamus recovery . Worked fairly well but the site has since changed and is no longer feasible to operate there. May be reinstated in the future but not currently.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »

There indeed was a hydroacoustic count done on the Cheakamus for chinook but that was a few years ago and is no longer in operation.It was funded by the Pacific Salmon Foundation and CN Rail as part of the Cheakamus recovery . Worked fairly well but the site has since changed and is no longer feasible to operate there. May be reinstated in the future but not currently.
Thanks for the information.