Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Early Fraser River Chinook Run Looks Bleak  (Read 11723 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Early Fraser River Chinook Run Looks Bleak
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »

can you be more explicit? how many spots, where?

river walker

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »

Ive seen it above and below gill road. Don't need to look very far or hard. From what I understand it is legal .
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »

The natives currently have food and ceremonial openings on the Fraser. If they are catching sockeye, it is incidental as they are using mesh sizes that are designed to target chinook.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes_Previous.html
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 08:14:54 AM »

The natives currently have food and ceremonial openings on the Fraser. If they are catching sockeye, it is incidental as they are using mesh sizes that are designed to target chinook.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes_Previous.html
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html
With opening like this I am very concerned how the Early Timed Chinooks will ever recover. At the start of this thread the FOC notice says "the cumulative CPUE in 2011 is well below the historical average". It does not make sense to me to have all these openings.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:17:25 AM by chris gadsden »

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »

I was out walking the dog with my missus and mother-in-law out at Kanaka Creek Park in Maple Ridge.  Saw about a 20 foot section of drift net (don't know how much more below the water surface) caught on one of the log boom poles (do they have a proper description? - the ones sticking out of the water that the booms are tied to) at the mouth of Kanaka Creek.   :(
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 08:59:24 AM »

With opening like this I am very concerned how the Early Timed Chinooks will ever recover. At the start of this thread the FOC notice says "the cumulative CPUE in 2011 is well below the historical average". It does not make sense to me to have all these openings.

They gotta eat....   ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Labman55

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 09:02:48 AM »

I was out walking the dog with my missus and mother-in-law out at Kanaka Creek Park in Maple Ridge.  Saw about a 20 foot section of drift net (don't know how much more below the water surface) caught on one of the log boom poles (do they have a proper description? - the ones sticking out of the water that the booms are tied to) at the mouth of Kanaka Creek.   :(

Do you mean "Piles"?  ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 06:03:26 PM by Labman55 »

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »

They gotta eat....   ???

But one would think that if it's in everybody's best interests, those of the natives included, that they could agree to close the fishery.
- John A.

ChromeBar

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »

I've seen it above and below Gill road and at Peg Leg. I might go for a boot this afternoon and try to get some pics. From what I understand it is legal... not that means anything the nets will always be there... but It stinks that we cant talk any sense into a group of people who claim so much of their lives revolve around these fish I know alot of them are trying but our government fails us by allowing them to keep going ... I Guess they will learn when the salmon are all but a few pairs and theres a strict shut down of the rivers and we have patrol boats shooting poachers like in africa. It seems to me year after year the majority of the fish dissapear after they hit the Fraser. Dont get me wrong ocean survival and other factors play a huge roll as well but combine them all together and you have a Hitler like recipe for complete extermination.

river walker

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »

Times are tough for some.. They have the right to provide for their family's .. I say if they allow netting ..we should be able to fish as well .

StillAqua

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 06:10:27 AM »

I say if they allow netting ..we should be able to fish as well .

So Mom was wrong...two wrongs do make a right?

river walker

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »

So Mom was wrong...two wrongs do make a right?

I did not say it was wrong , infact I said it was legal.  It should also be open and legal for sporties. 

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »

I did not say it was wrong , infact I said it was legal.  It should also be open and legal for sporties. 

But it won't be - they will give the Natives whatever they want, as per usual, and the rest of us will have to watch while the desecration of a great river and the extinction of a great species occurs.

Go, B.C., go. 

J
- John A.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 06:14:37 PM »

What are these hydroacoustic stations that you are referring to that "count" Chinook?  As Dave has mentioned Albion is for stock abundance.  It is for determining run strength, timing and biological information (i.e. DNA).  It may seem like a "count", but the actual counting occurs on the spawning grounds which can include stream walks, aerial surveys and mark-recapture studies. 

The closest one is just above Mission Bridge and another at Hell's Gate fishway.   

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 08:10:04 PM »

The closest one is just above Mission Bridge and another at Hell's Gate fishway.   
BiwiBwi,  the Pacific Salmon Commission indeed operates a hydro acoustic sockeye enumerating site at Mission; the only other hydroacoustic site up river is at Qualark, a DFO/Yale FN operation near Yale that uses a different technology, again designed to count sockeye but with proper funding could enumerate chinook.   Hells Gate numbers are generated by visual observations only, for all species.