Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Mini-pin" for trout  (Read 7740 times)

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
"Mini-pin" for trout
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »

Was cruising the internet today (what else is new) and I came across a video/website for a centerpin reel.  They are advertising it as useful for trout/grayling...I kind of want to give one of these a shot, the price is quite low (I think around $45) but was wondering what kind of rod to use??  Could I just use a re-corked fly rod??  Thoughts are appreciated...this is as much discussion as it is a reality.

John
- John A.

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: "Mini-pin" for trout
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »

I've got a mini pin that I'm going to try for that very purpose, was actually thinking of using it as a fly reel for nymphming with a floating line and / or indicator and using it to play out line and extend the drift. Will let you know how it works.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »

I've got a mini pin that I'm going to try for that very purpose, was actually thinking of using it as a fly reel for nymphming with a floating line and / or indicator and using it to play out line and extend the drift. Will let you know how it works.

Sounds like a blast, Nick!  I was thinking of using mine in a very scaled-down manner, using small Thill floats for little creeks and the like.  If you used a pack rod, it would be a very portable system.

John
- John A.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 05:31:06 PM »

Use a fly rod. Take it to a rod builder and have them extend the fighting butt. I did just that with a 10wt fly rod and it works great. The rod builder I use is Whonnock Joe and he hand makes the extended butts. He makes an amazing 3 piece butt section so that the fighting butt can be made into 3 different lengths.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »

I was also going to suggest an extention to the butt of a fly rod or possibly a trout Spey rod such as an admunson 1134.

Do you have a link to the reel?

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:50:52 AM »

http://mikestackleshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=30&osCsid=11edea67329eb2f8ed5b6892a2df142a

^Link to the reel

This would be for very small trout in small streams...I was thinking like...five weight???  Or is that too soft?

J
- John A.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »

Use a fly rod. Take it to a rod builder and have them extend the fighting butt. I did just that with a 10wt fly rod and it works great. The rod builder I use is Whonnock Joe and he hand makes the extended butts. He makes an amazing 3 piece butt section so that the fighting butt can be made into 3 different lengths.

Jeff, how much was this if you don't mind me asking?  You can email me the number if that makes you more comfortable.

John
- John A.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »

That is a 5" diameter reel, which is significantly bigger than what most people use for coho, steelhead, etc.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 05:28:10 PM »

That is a 5" diameter reel, which is significantly bigger than what most people use for coho, steelhead, etc.

This is true, but the price is right for a purely experimental pursuit  ::)
- John A.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 11:23:33 PM »

Jeff, how much was this if you don't mind me asking?  You can email me the number if that makes you more comfortable.

John

The extension was just under $100 and worth every penny. I have got a 10' 6wt that will be going in to have the same thing done.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

slurpie

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 10:52:30 AM »

This reel looks very much like the Australian made cp "KP".  The spool of the KP was made of a lightweight material, perhaps carbon fiber, mounted on a steel foot and pin.  It is super light and great to use.  When it worked, it worked extremely well.  However, a word caution.  It you ever overrun, you might be cursing the day you bought this reel.  Because it doesn't have a back plate, the overrun tends to wrap around the inside center pin and bind, making untangling a nightmare!  It needs to be cast with much attention.  Some people have used the KP with much success.  Others have cursed it.  (But of course, experienced cp fishers never overrun :D)  The lack of a back plate on this mini-pin makes it super light and function very much like the KP.  Nice to fish but it could also make for a very frustrating day.  I have had much fun with my KP but have since retired it to my collection.  My 2c.

slurpie

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 10:55:19 AM »

Hey Geff T
Do you have a pic of the work done on the fly rod?  Not an easy task to do properly.  Sounds very interesting.  Or perhaps a link to his site if he has one?

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »

This reel looks very much like the Australian made cp "KP".  The spool of the KP was made of a lightweight material, perhaps carbon fiber, mounted on a steel foot and pin.  It is super light and great to use.  When it worked, it worked extremely well.  However, a word caution.  It you ever overrun, you might be cursing the day you bought this reel.  Because it doesn't have a back plate, the overrun tends to wrap around the inside center pin and bind, making untangling a nightmare!  It needs to be cast with much attention.  Some people have used the KP with much success.  Others have cursed it.  (But of course, experienced cp fishers never overrun :D)  The lack of a back plate on this mini-pin makes it super light and function very much like the KP.  Nice to fish but it could also make for a very frustrating day.  I have had much fun with my KP but have since retired it to my collection.  My 2c.

KP's are made in South Africa.......
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 11:47:33 PM »

KP's are made in South Africa.......

And the spools isn't Carbon Fibre it's plastic.

Ken D

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »

Hope no-one minds the topic bump. I spotted a post _in_ the thread RE Mr. Joe's build on a variable butt extension. If the owner of this mod. catches this bump, (or anyone else knows what Mr. Joe did, to make a variable butt bit) can you advise what he did to make the extension variable. Thanks, Ken.

(edit: I was out and about on the web on a general search for something totally different when the FWR thread got a hit, so in I came)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:04:36 AM by Ken D »